Looking for a bittering hop to pair with aroma Willamette

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking to make a house pale ale with something other that the typical cascade for a change. Can anyone suggest a bittering hop that would work well with Willamette used for aroma?

Possible Recipe
7 lbs Pale malt
3 lbs Vienna malt
8 oz crystal 20L
0.5 oz magnum at 60 min or 1 oz Perle at 60 min
0.5 oz Willamette 15 min
0.75 oz Willamette 5 min
0.75 oz Willamette 0 min
Mash 152 for at hour.
US-05 dry yeast.

Thanks

+1 magnum or hopshot or galena/super galena
Although I like willamette for bittering especially American style lagers

for pure bittering I'm with the others saying magnum, target, warrior, etc. But if you're looking for a flavor compliment as well EKG or Fuggle are often paired with Willamette and I made an amber with Willamette and Zythos (late boil and dry hopped with both).

I think that Founder's Breakfast stout uses 1oz of Nugget @ 60min to go along with 1oz of Willamette @ 30min and 1oz Willamette @ 0min (5 gal batch). I know you said you are brewing a pale ale but I think this combo would work well for both styles.

Challenger is a very good bittering hop that works very well with Willamette. It gives a smooth, clean bitterness with a bit of spice. I use Challenger for bittering, Wilamette at 15 minutes and Syrian Goldings at flameout to make an excellent IPA.

Back