Looking for a bittering hop to pair with aroma Willamette hop.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking for suggestions on a bittering hop to go with aroma Willamette. I am wanting to make a house ale with something other than cascade. I was thinking of either northern brewer or perle. Anyone have any suggestions?

6 lbs Vienna malt
4 lbs pale malt
8 oz Crystal 20L
0.5 oz Perle (60 min, first wort hop)
0.5 oz Perle 15 min
1.0 oz Willamette 10 min
0.5 oz Willamette 5 min
0.5 oz Willamette 0 min
US-05 dry yeast

Cluster works well with Willamette. Complements the earthiness with a bit of spice and pine as well.

I've been experimenting with using which ever high alpha hops I had on hand for the 60 minute bittering addition. I use an online calculator to hit my IBU target and end up using less hop pellets due to the high alpha acids. So far at least, I'm getting really clean bittering. Then I focus on the desired finishing hop(s) as late additions and some dry hopping for flavor and aroma.

really anything will work, just depends on how much bitterness you want. From ym experience little to no actual character comes from the bittering addition. I mean if I tasted a beer bittered with 1oz magnum vs 5oz saaz with the same IBU, I doubt I'd detect any difference.

Or are you talking about like a 20 or 15 min addition?

Back