Looking for a 6%+ abv

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dzachery

Reaction score
So if I want to brew a beer that is between 6-8% alcohol, do I need to find a recipe that has a corresponding finished gravity according to my hydrometer? Or is there another way?

It is the difference between fg and og that you should be looking at.

If you just want ABV, you can put a couple kilos of brewing sugar into the wort with any recipe and boost abv, however, that might throw the taste balance off (e.g. I recon you'll taste 8% alcohol in a boosted wheat beer or mild...).

The best way is to look for beer styles that are supposed to be strong and brew them instead.

If you are using extract, the packaging should tell you the gravity.

The rule of thumb is 1.036 for 1lb of LME in 1 gallon water and 1.042 for 1lb DME in 1 gallon water.

For 6 to 8 percent, I'd go no lower than 1.060. Be careful as you go heavier. You may need much more hops than usual, and may need multiple yeast packets.

Look for a recipe with a high OG and a low FG. The bigger the difference between the two, the higher the alcohol content.

Think Imperial Stouts, Imperial IPAs, big Saisons, etc.

Or if you're just looking for alcohol, there's always EverClear....

There are several variations of ABV. The one I use that most closely matches Palmer's charts is:

Abv = (OG - FG) x 129

You can also estimate your FG. It can get technical, but I use 72% yeast attentuation.

For example. 5 gallons of beer.

If you uses 6.5 lbs DME = 1.078 OG
FG = 1.078 x 28% = 1.021
Abv = (1.078 - 1.021) x 129 = 7.35%

So if I want to brew a beer that is between 6-8% alcohol, do I need to find a recipe that has a corresponding finished gravity according to my hydrometer? Or is there another way?

The potential alcohol by volume scale and specific gravity scale on the hydrometer to not relate to each other. The % alcohol scale is used by wine makers.

Here is a link to ABV calculator and others. Final Gravity can be estimated by using the printed attenuation of a yeast, but there are to many variables in brewing to use it as exact.

mChavez' advice is good.

Of course they relate to each other. If they didn't, they couldn't be on the same piece of paper in the hydrometer. Sugar is sugar. Yeast doesn't care that it isn't fructose.

http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/Potential-Alcohol-Content-from-Original-Gravity

Here's a couple examples.
(1.050-1.012) *129 = 4.9% ABV
6.125% - 1.25% = 4.9%
(1.100 - 1.000 * 129 = 13%
13% - 0% = 13%

People can't to wrap their heads around the fact you have to take the potential alcohol % at beginning and end and find the difference for ABV. But they can remember 129 or 131 or whatever multiplier they like to use.

If you want a 6% beer, find a beer where the difference between OG and FG is greater than .047. 1.060 to 1.013 would get you there as an example.

The percentage potential alcohol isn't unrelated, it's not just useful -- nobody writes recipes that say "starting potential alcohol 7.5%, finishing potential alcohol 1.5%," to use your 1.060 - 1.013 example.

What people do list on their recipes is an estimate of what the starting and final gravities will be. You can punch those numbers into an ABV calculator (I'm a fan of Brewer's Friend, mostly because it's the first Google search result for ABV calculator) to get an estimate of about what ABV you'll hit with that recipe.

Quick edit: using equations like Ster will give you an equally-good answer as an ABV calculator, if you're not a lazy-ass like me.

No offense, but if you're asking this question, why don't you just go down to the LHBS and buy a kit with the abv you want?

I think you guys went a little over where this question needed to go.

All the recipes in Brewing Classic Styles by Zainasheff and Palmer include ABV estimates.

Back