Lookin for a beer mug

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grathan

Reaction score
Something special. Something besides the plastic dispoable cups I have been using...

Something not too heavy, good insulating properties, wide open brim that lets the nose down into the froth on a first sip. At least 20 oz. A lid that flips open effortlessly with the thumb . For some reason I am thinking glass would be too heavy.

Do they make something like a stainless steel lined double wall travel mug with a stein top?

I actually have the sam adams glass already. It is very light and has a unique large brim and restricts the pour but still allows a full mouthful. It is really neat.

I think I would like a mug though. For watching football. Something a little more stable on the bottom. A handle for easier grasping. And a lid to trap some hops aromas.

I'm looking for something lightweight and a quality hinge that is easy to activate. Dishwasher friendly would be a plus.

Something more like this:

6199LPG.jpg

5132_large.jpg

thanks

Honestly, I've alway found the mugs with the lid to be kind of a PITA. Maybe it's just that my thumb isn't long enough, but I always find myself straining to reach the lever.

That being said, those two look pretty sick. I especially like the first one.

Something more like this:

5132_large.jpg

Ok this is obviously an expensive stein. I am going to also go on a limb and guess that it is pewter, at least the "art" looks like it is to me and single walled.

If you want pretty I can not help. I can also add I have NEVER seen one of these like in the picture and I have been looking for groomsmen gifts (I want to get them steins) for months, in stainless steel.

Now, if you have some time and patience as well as some decent DIY skills I CAN help. I am thinking find yourself a lid-less stein that is double walled and SS that you like. Then when you have that, take it around to some Goodwills/antique stores and places that may have a lidded stein. Or measure and contact the people selling for dimensions. Look for a lidded stein that the lid can be removed (More than likely on a glass mug) and make it fit onto the SS handle. It wont be easy but I have faith this can be done...

I did stumble upon these. They do NOT meet your criteria in at least 1 way...also I can not say anything about these companies as I have never done business with them...

http://www.steins.com/CTGY/PewterTankards.html - pewter

http://www.steincollectors.com/page/1054746 - pewter

http://www.northcoteimports.com/main.sc - just a stein site...

and that is about it...

My favorite beer glass is anything that comes free with purchase of beer. I've gotten some really neat glasses that way.

I've actually found that I'm fussier about my beer glasses than my wine glasses when it comes to matching style to glass.

I pick up glasses from thrift stores, dollar stores, and breweries whenever I travel. So far I've found the best ones at thrift stores, it seems like breweries usually sell the same ole' generic pint glasses with a printed logo.

Back