Longshot Shipping Trouble

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm guessing flying over the 10,000 ft speed limit of 250 knots would net you much worse than a $150 fine.

I shipped my entries to "Longshot c/o Two Brothers". I think they will figure out what is in the box when it gets there. :)

Yes, if I exceed the 250KIAS speed limit below 10,000 feet, I would be begging for a $150 fine. The real gotchas are the speed limits at certain fixes on arrivals and departures.

Does Republic (or any airline other than maybe Air Arabia) restrict me from putting bottles of beer in my checked luggage? Does the TSA? Or do they feel the slip of paper they put in my bag full of bottles renders the danger inert?

The answer is no.

Does Republic (or any airline other than maybe Air Arabia) restrict me from putting bottles of beer in my checked luggage? Does the TSA? Or do they feel the slip of paper they put in my bag full of bottles renders the danger inert?

The answer is no.

Did anyone say yes? Did anyone say there was a "danger"? What is the point?

But we do limit liquids, aerosols and gels to 3oz per container. Which is completely pointless, yet you are required to follow that rule. That again... is... my... point.

Pol, I have no other choice but to view the words that you write as pertinent to the topic at hand.
So, if you say:
So, am I to assume that it is illegal to ship these entries, but as long as you decieve the shipper, it works ok?

A well reasoned interpretation, with which I am confident everyone but you in this thread will agree, is that you are being coy. That you are making a point to say that it is illegal and that those that ship are liars.

And when you bring O2 generators into the discussion, you are de-facto comparing them to Longshot entries. You are elevating the discussion to an airline tragedy.

I submit that a Fed Ex package with my beer is no different than my checked bag full of beer.
If your airline has some other policy about that then say so.

Beer is not dispensed in aerosol cans.

Pol, I have no other choice but to view the words that you write as pertinent to the topic at hand.
So, if you say:

A well reasoned interpretation, with which I am confident everyone but you in this thread will agree, is that you are being coy. That you are making a point to say that it is illegal and that those that ship are liars.

And when you bring O2 generators into the discussion, you are de-facto comparing them to Longshot entries. You are elevating the discussion to an airline tragedy.

I submit that a Fed Ex package with my beer is no different than my checked bag full of beer.
If your airline has some other policy about that then say so.

Beer is not dispensed in aerosol cans.

Careful with the quoting... because you missed half the converation.

I asked... am I to ASSUME it is illegal? I never said it was, and I think throughout this thread that has been well established that it is not. I didnt know, which is why I posted what you decided to quote.

Throughout the thread it became apparent that it is not illegal, but it is a company policy. So, then I asked, are we in fact decieving the shipper in order to get them to ship something that they would not otherwise? The answer was yes. Okay, so there is some level of deciet involved in order to get the outcome that you desire, that was established.

My point with the aerosols was not hard to understand. There is no danger in carrying more than 3 oz of any gel or liquid on a plane either, just as you state there is no danger in shipping alcohol, but there is a policy that you cannot do either. Company policy or otherwise, there is no danger in carrying more than 3oz of any liquid, gel or aerosol... there is no danger in carrying alcohol. In that respect they are the same, but we follow rules with no point, daily... quote that post by me, please... it is a few numbers back.

That is my point.

I dont care if you have to lie or decieve to ship something that is against the shippers policy. But if it is an apple, dont call it an orange... it is an apple.

Quite the diatribe for someone who purportedly doesn't care what the collective 'we' who ship HB to competitions or in swaps do.

I thumb my nose at arbitrary nonsensical rules all day long, especially the draconian ones.

It is illegal for a non licensed person to ship alcohol in Michigan. That is a state law passed in the last 8 years or so.

I had the whole thing explained to me by the guy at the UPS desk when I blanked and said "Beer" when he asked what the contents where. He explained that they, UPS, couldn't ship my beer because I didn't have a liquor license from the state. He then asked me again what where in the boxes. :D

"Live Yeast Samples for Evaluation" works for every other package I send.

Ya know...someone like the AHA or the like should have a sit down with UPS, FedEx, etc to get this all straightened out. We are all clearly not shipping our beer for commercial purposes, but quite honestly for evaluation. There should be no issue coming up with a new sticker to slap on the boxes stating such. There already exists the 21+, non-intoxicated, signature required sticker. Why not one stating for evaluation purposes only?

Ya know...someone like the AHA or the like should have a sit down with UPS, FedEx, etc to get this all straightened out. We are all clearly not shipping our beer for commercial purposes, but quite honestly for evaluation. There should be no issue coming up with a new sticker to slap on the boxes stating such. There already exists the 21+, non-intoxicated, signature required sticker. Why not one stating for evaluation purposes only?

That's a brilliant idea, Brian! I wonder if any steps have already been taken in that direction that may have stymied somewhere.

Jason

This was discussed on the AHA TechTalk mailing list recently. They are hoping to have an agreement with one of the shippers in place for next year's NHC. Whether that can be extended to all BJCP sanctioned comps is another topic though.

Print UPS labels at home.

Mark boxes "Glassware".

Drop them off at the UPS counter.

No worries in over two dozen shipments.

Yeah, that works just fine until you ship it during the winter, it freezes and then you get a threatening call from the UPS dude about how much trouble you can get into (WA state). Not that this ever happened to me.

In the end, I have decided that for right now I'm not going to ship anything out myself for any swaps, competitions, etc... Luckily for most comps around here we have designated drop off points.

However, comma.... I don't care what you all do, how you do it, etc... Good luck with shipping and hope that one of your beers WINS LONGSHOT!!!!

Wrap the bottles in bubble wrap and put them inside individual plastic bags. Then put a big bag inside the box to hold them all. That way if in the rare chance they do break, they don't leak.

Until a company feels the need to accommodate homebrewers and others sending gifts or bottles for competition, I'll be shipping via FedEx against their policy. I've never been asked what is in the package, but I work in shipping and we send out a lot of chemicals.

Put each bottle in a gallon zip lock, and then whole package is in a trash bag sealed fairly tight.

Keeps the leaks in if anything "bad" happens.

Yeah, that works just fine until you ship it during the winter, it freezes and then you get a threatening call from the UPS dude about how much trouble you can get into (WA state). Not that this ever happened to me.

That's why I:

• Check the weather forecast for the next three-four days between here and there.
  • Never ship on a Thursday when you know it's going to sit in a truck over the weekend.

Back