Longnecks v. Stubby Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 30639

Reaction score
OK, this is a really stupid question. One I first started, way back last fall, someone told me or I read somewhere that you should use longnecks instead of stubby bottle.

I can't remember why they said this.

Is there any truth, or any reason to use longnecks of stubby's?

a brown bottle that isn't a twist top is all you need. tall or short doesn't matter for the beer, and your bottle wand will leave the same head space due to fluid displacement either way.

But some 'non standard' bottles can have problems with inexpensive wing-cappers and the cap doesn't seal properly, but a good bench capper can cap anything including twist tops.

I have tried a few different bottles, and the only ones that have never been leaky or inconsistent in their pressure-holding capabilities have been longnecks. The sierra nevada stubbies have sometimes been flat for me, as have the anchor brewing stubbies, as have the grolsch swing-tops. I have decided to try and stick with longnecks from now on.

As long as we are on the subject, don't mix European and North American bottles. The opening sizes are slightly different. You can compensate but it's a nuisance - it's much easier to simply use one type or the other.

As long as we are on the subject, don't mix European and North American bottles. The opening sizes are slightly different. You can compensate but it's a nuisance - it's much easier to simply use one type or the other.

Yeah, I read somewhere that NA bottles use a 26 millimeter cap and the European ones use a 29 millimeter cap. It probably would have been easier to standardize things years ago. I tell everyone who I beg for bottles that they have to be brown, American, and pop-top. Inevitably someone will occasionally try to give me a European bottle.

I lean towards the long-necks, but only because I'm superstitious, and the little bottles fool with my ego...

Truthfully, I've been saving both, but just end up with far more long-necks than stubbies. And my OCD kicks in at bottling time. If I can't match all 54 bottles, I don't use 'em... so it's been all long-necks, because I only have about 40 stubbies, and a couple hundred long-necks.

I'm sure the shorty's will find a home if I ever buy a few more sixers of Seirra Nevada...

+1 on the bench capper. It is a great investment and can cap damn near anything.

So you guys are saying that you have no troubles capping screw-on bottles with a bench capper because the guy at LHBS told me that this is not a good idea to try this and i decided not to by one because i didn't see a big advantage (considering the price diff.) and went with wing capper.

I use a fair number of screw on bottles and use a bench capper with excellent results.

BUT from what I have been told, our Canadian bottles are thicker/heavier than most of those sold south of the 49th.

So you guys are saying that you have no troubles capping screw-on bottles with a bench capper because the guy at LHBS told me that this is not a good idea to try this and i decided not to by one because i didn't see a big advantage (considering the price diff.) and went with wing capper.

I think most of us, at least myself, were comparing short versus tall bottles, not screw versus pry tops. I haven't capped any screw caps myself, so can't speak for how well they seal.

But some 'non standard' bottles can have problems with inexpensive wing-cappers and the cap doesn't seal properly, but a good bench capper can cap anything including twist tops.

I guess i should've been specific i was refferrring to this statement by Malkore

I have noticed no difference between my stubby (Sierra Nevada) bottles and long necks. I have noticed that my 22 oz. bombers tend to carb a little faster and with a little more carbonation when done.

I have noticed no difference between my stubby (Sierra Nevada) bottles and long necks. I have noticed that my 22 oz. bombers tend to carb a little faster and with a little more carbonation when done.

me too! can't figure out how that makes sense re the 22 oz bottles carbing more/faster.

to the OP - I have a wing capper too, don't bother with the twisties or some euro bottles (read: pilsner urquell). shorty bottles are great though no difference from long necks. i just think they look nicer!

I've got a large mixture of long necks, stubbies, bombers, flip tops etc.... In my experience, they all seem to perform the same when they're capped and carbed. People may have different past experiences but I would imagine that's just random chance.

BTW, I've also used screw-tops and actually screwed the original cap back on. Worked fine on the one six-pack I was brave enough to try it with. I have no desire to try it again but it did work out.

You guys have any issues with green bottles? I have about two cases of Stella bottles that I was going to use. Currently using Fat Tire and Pacifico bottles.

the only problem i've had with the greenies (pilsner urquell and stella), if you use a wing capper, is that the shoulder under the opening is much less substantial on those bottles and doesn't give the capper much to grab on to when pulling the cap down. it is possible, but be careful that you don't break the neck when doing so.

People may have different past experiences but I would imagine that's just random chance.

I know it is not random for me, bombers always carb faster for me than 12 or 11.2 oz. bottles. I think it is because there is almost twice the sugar in the bottle, but the head space is about the same. This generates about twice the C02 but since it doesn't have twice as much space, more dissolves into the beer more quickly. Same principle applies to it being more carbonated also.

the only problem i've had with the greenies (pilsner urquell and stella), if you use a wing capper, is that the shoulder under the opening is much less substantial on those bottles and doesn't give the capper much to grab on to when pulling the cap down. it is possible, but be careful that you don't break the neck when doing so.

The green bottles I have are just like my normal browns, they cap no differently. I have had some minor issues with Bass bottles though. They work fine, but the wing capper will "stick" a bit after I crimp.

Back