Longest aged beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

anotherbeerplease

Reaction score
How long have you aged your homebrew?

I am wanting to brew a high grav stout (13%) every winter and bottle it - a few bottles for now, a few for later, and quite a few for much, much later.
As the years go by I am hoping to get a vertical tasting going, featuring each year.
Just curious what is realistic for max aging with home brew? Has anyone tried to age their homebrew for 5 to maybe 10 or more years?

JohnSand

Staff member
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't. I did keep a Belgian Strong for four years, it was quite good through three. That beer was about 8% iirc.
There are threads on HBT recounting the tasting of very old beers, but usually the aging was accidental.
Keep us posted.

NoCornOrRice

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have tried verticals of bottled Barley wines from two homebrewers, involving beers up to 20 years old. For my part, I have a kegged Triple IPA / Barley wine hybrid from 2013. I tried it a couple of years ago and it was still very good. I have also aged multiple stouts in kegs for up to 4.5 years with no problems.

Edit: Imperial stouts that were all over 11.5% abv

Reaction score
How long have you aged your homebrew?

I am wanting to brew a high grav stout (13%) every winter and bottle it - a few bottles for now, a few for later, and quite a few for much, much later.
As the years go by I am hoping to get a vertical tasting going, featuring each year.
Just curious what is realistic for max aging with home brew? Has anyone tried to age their homebrew for 5 to maybe 10 or more years?
Just a few years. I made a strong scotch ale that was terrific, and improved by the time I got to the last bottle after several years.

I did buy a stout and hold onto it for 24 years. Then on a whim, shared it with some friends.

oakbarn

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
When we first brewed our Stout, we still had Keg that was over 2 years old. We have "tried" to do it again, but that damn Stout is just too good!

mashpaddled

Reaction score
I have some sour beer I brewed that the oldest bottles were ten years old at the time I consumed them. They held up well. I have a lot of homebrew both sour and not sour that I've had five or more years old. No real issues with the age which undoubtedly is the benefit of bottling with yeast consuming the oxygen introduced with bottling. Ideally you would want to bottle through a keg to minimize oxidation if you can but I haven't been disappointed with bottles packaged out of a bottling bucket.

jerrylotto

Reaction score
My next is going to be a Belgian Strong and I'm wondering what the MINIMUM aging period should be. I'm thinking a couple of months at least...

Dr_Jeff

Reaction score
I have a big monster RIS that I have a few bottles left from 2012-13 and a vertical of Belgian Quads from 2014,15,16,17 and a Dubbel from 2013?
I also have a bottle from 2004 of a big beer that a friend gave me years ago, it was packaged with a cork, then a crown cap on top of it.
And a bunch from various styles from 2015, mostly sours, I believe.
Likely have others, I'd just have to search through the bottles that I have stashed away.

bwible

I drink, and I know things
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I try to brew a barleywine once a year now. I have some left from the last 3 years. I’m looking for those more in the winter when its cold outside.

We did a vertical tasting in 2020 with some commercial barleywines. One was a Sierra Nevada Bigfoot from 2000. The last one I had. The concensus was it was just ok and probably was way past its prime. Even the big beers don’t last forever. People like to age wine, too. But the truth is most wines are ready to drink when they are released (or the winery would not have released them) and only a few, very expensive bottles really benefit from aging. And again, they still don’t last forever.

I just read an article about the world’s oldest bottle of whiskey being sold at auction for a ridiculous price. They are not even positive what year it is from.

As with anything homebrew, sanitation and general handling will be a variable with your own beers that are older, too.

Murph4231

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have one bottle of Sam Adams Triple Bock from 1994 left over from purchasing all that I could get my hands on at the time. Some friends and I shared one bottle per year for the next 12 years. With each year of age it got better and better. I plan on drinking that last bottle in 2024. It will be 30 yrs old then. I look forward to drinking that beer.

Steveruch

Reaction score
Not a beer, but last year I had the last bottle of an 18 year old mead that was real good. And the last bottle of a 16 year old mead, also good. Both were 18%.

BrewnWKopperKat

Reaction score
I have one bottle of Sam Adams Triple Bock from 1994 left over from purchasing all that I could get my hands on at the time. Some friends and I shared one bottle per year for the next 12 years. With each year of age it got better and better. I plan on drinking that last bottle in 2024. It will be 30 yrs old then. I look forward to drinking that beer.
How do/did you store the bottles?

davidabcd

Detroit, Mi.
Reaction score
I make those and old ales (similar to scotch ale) and it seems, each time, three months in the bottle gives a noticeable improvement. I've never had one last past a year since they get drunk.

kydan47

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Two friends and I brewed an Expedition Stout Clone in 2014 and I bottled it in 2015 for the KY State Fair and it took blue for 5 years (2015-2019). OG was 1.105

Latest posts