long time lurker first time poster.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ikevanbrauer

Reaction score
Many thanks for such a great website.

Got the plastic smell and taste.
Heres the run down though I brewed an American wheat extract kit from NB and us05 yeast. I also only had the easy clean that had come with the kit for all my cleansing. All went good on brewday and first 2 weeks in primary then I got brave. I racked 1 gallon into bottles then the other 4 onto 4# of thawed still cold strawberries. And then let sit in secondary for 1 week when I opened secondary BAM!! plastic smell. I went ahead and bottled the batch to see what will happen. I popped open beer with out strawberries and this is a very delicious beer it has been bottle conditioned for 2 weeks. I just opened a strawberry beer that has been in bottle for week and half and still very very distinct plastic smell and taste. Any thoughts on what I may have done to my 4 gallons.

I felt for my first brew I have been very meticulous about cleaning and proper methods.

Only thing I did not do was sanitize strawberries I just thawed and cut in half with sanitized knife. Maye my culprit?

Fermenting temp- house temp 68
Glass Carboys
Well Water

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

The strawberry may very well be your your smoking gun. If you are going to do this next time I would either boil them briefly or soak them in vodka for a week before adding to the fermenter. the second method is easy and will knock up the abv a slight bit. Other techniques could be throw the fruit into the boil for the last 5 min to sterilize it. or use a strawberry concentrate flavoring at bottling just add a few drops at a time tasting to see when its at the proper level for you.

i think they may be the culprit too. never add fruit without sterilizing it somehow, unless it's from a nitrogen-packed container. i put my fresh fruit in 170 degree water for 10-15 minutes, then add it into the secondary.

Thanks guys kinda felt that's where I went wrong. Do you think that time will heal on this type infection. I keep reading that wheat beers are better young so not sure where to go from here?

possibly, Unless you have a desperate need for the bottles I would not dump it. just set it aside for a few months and see how it tastes. If its still undrinkable then toss it. I have a wheat beer that I added a ton of honey. It tasted horrible when young but as it ages its mellowing out and getting much more drinkable.

Great I'll set it back and let er go hopefully it will mellow out. Hopefully after Christmas I will get started on building keezer and start kegging. I appreciate the help!

I hear a lot of people like the Oregon Fruit Purees. You could rack onto a can of that for great results.

Back