Long term grain storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperARMT

Reaction score
So I'm looking to start storing a fair amount of grain, primarily for the significant cost savings over time. The challenge will of course be how to best preserve the grain under an extended period of time. I might possibly hold onto the grain as long as 24 months which is definitely pushing the boundaries as I understand, but not entirely infeasible. I intend to store 3 base malts, Marris Otter, Belgian Pils and 2-row in airtight pet food containers that I will blanket with CO2 before sealing and storing them in a reasonably cool environment.

My question is in regard toward the use of materials for both moister absorption and oxygen absorption and if anyone has experimented with these options with any level of success? Here is what I am currently considering for a 60lb container:500cc Oxygen Absorbers

Last edited by a moderator:
I use 5 gallon buckets with gamma seal lids. Some of my grain I put in mylar bags with the O2 absorbers then put in the buckets; but I really cannot tell the difference between the grain with and without.
No moisture problems with these seals. I am still using base grains that I purchased in 2012 with minimal efficiency loss.

I purchased the O2 absorbers, 5 gallon mylar zip bags, and gamma lids from baytec:
http://www.bayteccontainers.com/#gsc.tab=0

2000cc O2 absorbers x 10 for $10, much better deal than amazon.

I also use buckets with gamma lids. No bags, no O2 absorbers, store in basement. Some of my grain is 2-3 years old and I haven't noticed any issues with it. I do live in a very dry climate zone, though, so YMMV.

Hi. I know a lot of folks like buckets/gamma lids & Vittles Vaults, but I like the Ziploc/Iris Weatherguard totes. They have a rubber seal on the lid and come in several sizes. The two sizes I use are 11 gal (holds exactly 53# malt) and the 15 gal (easily holds 60+#.) Another benefit is they stack and don't use as much space as buckets. Best of all, they're about $15.00 and you can get them at Wally World or big box home store. There's also a dark/opaque version if you don't like clear. BTW, I live in the Memphis area where it gets plenty hot & humid in the garage, and I haven't had a problem yet. Look at the dates on my grain. Ed
:mug:

Grain box.jpg

It takes me about 2 years to use up a bag of grain. I use 5 gallon buckets; one with a Gamma seal lid, and one with a plain rubber gasket lid. (the Gamma bucket is the working bucket 'cuz it's easier to open)

I purchased the O2 absorbers, 5 gallon mylar zip bags, and gamma lids from baytec:
http://www.bayteccontainers.com/#gsc.tab=0

2000cc O2 absorbers x 10 for $10, much better deal than amazon.

Wow yeah, that is an incredible deal and no shipping cost! Thanks! Based on what everyone has to say here, it sounds like my grain will be just fine. Thanks for all the input!

Latest posts

Back