Long-term Conditioning Temperature.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grossy

Reaction score
Conditioning temperature.

Here in Arizona we do not have basements, (why I don’t know, underground living makes all the sense in the world here).

As a result I have converted a stand up freezer into my fermentation chamber, I am trying to produce a pipeline that completely replaces micro-brew beer with home brew. I am concerned that the chamber will not be large enough. I can ferment 2 five gallon batches, and bottle condition 3 batches (75 bottles, 24 oz bottles). Set at 70 degrees.

The problem is that I expect some batches to require more time to ferment, or more time to condition in the bottle.

After three weeks at 70 degrees in the fermenter, is it possible to continue to condition the bottles at the 78 degrees in the house? What would be the problems for doing this?

:cross:

It really shouldn't be a problem. Not ideal but temp swings are harder on the beer then a consistent higher temp.

As for basements... foundation depth is based on the frost line. Example, Colorado is at 36" you are half way to having a basement already. In AZ its a far greater cost add in concrete then in colder climates.

I live in Phoenix, I feel you pain. My housestays around 80, and I have no problem conditioning beers. Just know that they conditioning much faster at warmer temps. What you might secondary for two months at 65* equates to around 3-4 weeks at 80* I heard once you half the shelf life of beers for every 10* warmer. Moral of the sorry is, it's fine, but the beers will last much longer at 50 or 60*

Thanks for the info, my wife will kill me if I buy another fridge for the garage. :mug:

Back