Long star San soak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RG_1

Reaction score
Went to bottle my IPA last weekend and threw everything (bottles, tubing, racking cane, etc.) into a bucket with star san only to look at the fermenter and realize it wasn't done. I closed up the bucket and left it for a week only to open it up and find a nice white film on pretty much everything. I did a quick (5 min) soak in PBW and rinsed everything really well, but I'm wondering if there's going to be any issues with using everything when the IPA is done. Any thoughts or advice? Anyone have a similar experience?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks - So no issues with off taste or anything? That's what I'm really worried about. Bottling the beer and having it have a star san flavor...

Thanks - So no issues with off taste or anything? That's what I'm really worried about. Bottling the beer and having it have a star san flavor...

Nope. It might degrade tubing a little faster, but no off flavors should develop from it... especially if re-cleaned and re-sanitized.

I just had the same issue and when i removed my tubing it had gone from clear to a cloudy pasty white color. Tried the oxyclean for a few hours and it did not remove the cloudy color, the tubing seems clean just an off color do you suppose its safe to use as its from my racking cane.

I just had the same issue and when i removed my tubing it had gone from clear to a cloudy pasty white color. Tried the oxyclean for a few hours and it did not remove the cloudy color, the tubing seems clean just an off color do you suppose its safe to use as its from my racking cane.

There's still a film inside of that tubing, but it's still ok to use. I'd siphon a few gallons of water through it first, then re-sanitize for good measure.

Back