Long secondary fermentation, Is my yeast still good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrizzledDog

Reaction score
Question. I have an IPA that has been sitting in a stainless steel keg/secondary for maybe three months. Origionally, I was going to force carb it but now I have decided that I would like to bottle it. I was wondering if I would need to add more yeast or will it still be active enought to bottle carbonate the beer. I have a package of muntons laying around, should I throw that in the keg before bottling. How long do I need to wait after adding it before I can bottle. Please let me know if you have experience with this type of situation. Thanks!

Question. I have an IPA that has been sitting in a stainless steel keg/secondary for maybe three months. Origionally, I was going to force carb it but now I have decided that I would like to bottle it. I was wondering if I would need to add more yeast or will it still be active enought to bottle carbonate the beer. I have a package of muntons laying around, should I throw that in the keg before bottling. How long do I need to wait after adding it before I can bottle. Please let me know if you have experience with this type of situation. Thanks!

You should have plenty of yeast, unless you had the secondary at something lik 34 degrees for those three months. If you choose to reyeast (and you don't need to really), don't use that Munton's!

Thanks! I was hoping I would not have to pitch more yeast, I Just wanted to make sure that it carbonated.

Well, now that I am thinking about it, the beer was in our back room which has no heat. We did have a very mild winter here in PA. Hopefully it has not affected the yeast too much. It was definitely not near freezing the whole time it has been out there.

Back