Long Rhizomes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

BaldAssCat

Reaction score
I did some searching but didn’t find anything on this (a first for me on this board). If I missed a thread please let me know.

Just got my rhizomes in and I’m planting in pots inside since the ground at my house is still frozen where I’m going to plant. One of the rhizomes is too long for the pot. I have 6 inches of pot and 8 inches of rhizome.

My question is, can I cut it in half or would that pretty much kill it? It has sprouts growing out either side of it and seems like it would be big enough but I thought maybe someone here might have tried it and has some input. TIA for any advice.

JAG410

Reaction score
Plant vertically if you can, otherwise cutting it in half probably won't hurt it.

OP
BaldAssCat

BaldAssCat

Reaction score
Can't you plant it vertically?
That’s what I did for now but it’s only just under the dirt on the top. Plus, everything I read about it says I should plant it horizontally. These are the first I’ve done so I haven’t even thought about straying from the directions yet. Have you had any luck with that?

JAG410

Reaction score
My Golding was planted vertically, and one end is about 1/4" above the surface (thanks to the neighbors f'n cat!). It's sprouting nicely. In other words, no worries :) They seem to be much hardier than you'd think. Just plant it vertically and make a mound on the top to cover the end. That is assuming that the buds on the rhizome are pointing up of course.

JarrodH

Reaction score
Can you plant it with a bigger pot? The roots will outgrow that pot pretty quick.

cyberbackpacker

Reaction score
x2 that pot is too small. It would be better to just leave them in the fridge until you can get them in the ground...

OP
BaldAssCat

BaldAssCat

Reaction score
I'm hoping to have them in the ground on Sat. The snow is off the yard now with the rain we've been having so with luck I'll have 6 inches of thawed ground by then.

buzzkill

Reaction score
if you just need to plant them now in pots,but are going to put them in the ground later when its warmer. You should line the pot with burlap,then you can move them from pots to ground later without disturbing them at all.

SOB

Reaction score
My problem is that my rhizome is too small! The pot can't even tell when it's inside and always asks "is it in yet?"

Seabee John

Swing the BIG hammer
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
My problem is that my rhizome is too small! The pot can't even tell when it's inside and always asks "is it in yet?"
don't feel bad.... there are lots of guys with your problem.... but don't worry, they make a special liquid you can spread all over your rhizome and it will get bigger, both in girth and length... and before long, you'll get great performance out of your rhizome.... no more pitiful premature hop harvests for you mister....

OP
BaldAssCat

BaldAssCat

Reaction score
if you just need to plant them now in pots,but are going to put them in the ground later when its warmer. You should line the pot with burlap,then you can move them from pots to ground later without disturbing them at all.
Good advice, thanks. I think I'll do that.

SOB

Reaction score
don't feel bad.... there are lots of guys with your problem.... but don't worry, they make a special liquid you can spread all over your rhizome and it will get bigger, both in girth and length... and before long, you'll get great performance out of your rhizome.... no more pitiful premature hop harvests for you mister....
Thanks but what do I do after that? Do I put it in horizontally of vertically?

Hopfarmer

Reaction score
Cut them in between the nodes,make sure the nodes are pointing towards the sky.Do not worry about burlap I did 5000 pots last year(pictures are on this site). These plants are weeds amazing weeds.Just remember lots of nitrogen till the 10th July then none Cheers Glen

OP
BaldAssCat

BaldAssCat

Reaction score
Cut them in between the nodes,make sure the nodes are pointing towards the sky.Do not worry about burlap I did 5000 pots last year(pictures are on this site). These plants are weeds amazing weeds.Just remember lots of nitrogen till the 10th July then none Cheers Glen
Didn't know that about the nitrogen. Good advice, thanks!

SOB

Reaction score
That's interesting to hear. Could I ask why you say that, and also, does it apply to all climates?
I was thinking about the "nitrogen till the 10th July" comment last night. The way I took it was it is based on climate. July 10th seemed to me like the time when the heat of summer is about to really hit in most climates. So put on all your nitrogen before hand because once the summer hits, if you fertilize you can easily burn your plant. Just like a lawn, if you ever look at the fertilizer programs the summer applications are typically just weed killers and no (or maybe little) nitrogen.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong...