Long fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skidaddytn

Reaction score
I am on my fourth 5 gallon batch and decided to try a light beer this time.

Its been 2 weeks in the primary and while fermentation has slowed, it is still bubbling every 5 seconds... This one is taking forever... Room condition is 70 degrees. At this rate I feel like it will still need at least another 2 weeks...

This kit had rice extract... which I have never used before... I wonder if this is what is causing longer fermentation?

I've found that all of my fermentations are a little different. I really can't figure out why. I've lately been doing 10 gallon batches, I put 5 gallons into two different primaries, right next to each other, same yeast.

Many times, one primary is done before the other, not sure why...

Just cause it's bubbling does not mean it's not done. Has the yeast flocculated? Take a gravity reading and see where it's at.

The yeast is definitely at the bottom and the beer looks pretty clear.
Every once in a while you can see a very small surface bubble. This leads me to believe it is not completely finished.

The vigorous fermentation during the beginning took about 4-5 days... Seemed to be pretty normal compared to other batches. The krausen on this batch didn't blow out through the hose, but it was still a respectable size.

Up until now I have just been waiting 2 weeks and watching the bubbling to know when it is done... I guess I might have to break down and buy a hydrometer...

Yes you need to buy a hydrometer. An airlock is nothing more than a vent of CO2 not a gauge of fermentation.

Given that you yeast has flocculated out and the Krausen has fallen I would say that your fermentation is likely done. What you are now seeing is just the degassing of the beer as temperature fluctuates.

The bubbles could just be trapped CO2 escaping from the liquid. This happens even after the yeast have finished the ferment. Get thee a hydrometer!

When it's dropped clear I usually call it done. This usually happens for me around the 3rd week. I may or may not be ready to bottle so can go another week or two.

I think you guys are "spot on" with the trapped CO2 idea. This is what it looks like to me... I think I will wait a couple days and bottle. I am going to get a hydrometer with my next ingredient purchase... I will need one when I try a mini mash kit anyhow...

Back