Long draft lines - beer losing carb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milldoggy

Reaction score
All,
I have a 4 tap system feed by 27ft of 1/4 barrier tubing lines that is Gylcol chilled. I notice two things.

1:. When I do not use a tap for a while, say a month. The beer loses is carb. It is flat. Could it be causes by the temp swings from my glycol system? The slow cooling and warming, even in a 4 degree F coolant swing, causing the gas to escape?

2: Also the longer a beer sits in the line, that darker it gets. darker than beer in the keg. I imagine this is because plastic is permeable?

Any other thoughts in the topic?

Clearly your beer lines are gas permeable. The loss of carbonation and darkened beer are testimonials.
If you're in the habit of going a month between pours you might consider switching to barrier tubing like Bev Seal Ultra Series 235.
Turning up the gas pressure not only won't solve that, with 1/4" lines there could be major pour issues...

Cheers!

Lines are balanced(10 ft vertical), I run 12 psi and kegs are pressurized fine. After the first 8oz, beer is fine. Tubing is bevseal barrier tubing. Just not sure if any else has experienced with with bevseal tubes.

I'm surprised your system is balanced with only 10' of 1/4" line. Maybe it's because of the vertical feed?
Anyway, darkening beer is usually a sign of oxygenation.
Also, the beer should never go flat under Co2 pressure.
12 psi at 34 F is 2.79 volumes.

Oops, I see the line length is 27' with a 10' elevation. Seems like 1/4" is appropriate.

Yeah, the 1/4" thing is easy to miss.

I'm really surprised to read there's barrier tubing involved.
To the OP, just for clarity, if a second glass is poured is the beer noticeably lighter color?

Cheers!

I have ran these lines for 5 years. I thought I noticed it before, but now with light ne ipas it is more visible. The lose of carb is more of a head scratcher.

Second glass is clearer and normal carb levels

Last edited:
Back