Long Boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewser_

Reaction score
I am doing my first all grain batch today and I wasn't sure what my boil off rate was going to be. I wanted to stop the boil at 5.5 gallons so I started with 8 gallons of wort and measured my first half hour of boil to determine when I should add my first hop additions. Will there be any problems with a longer boil. It will probably be just short of three hours at the rate im boiling off.... maybe closer to 2 1/2 hours

thanks

Not exactly a problem, but extended boiling does develop some new flavor compounds. You also might end up a bit darker than you intended if it is a light beer.

Should be fine. I usually do 120 min boils when I brew AG with OG's over 1.075 to increase efficiency of my sparge.

Hey fellow Putnam County Boy!!!! I agree with the others. Okay to do. Just keep your flavor hop and aroma hop additions the same time from flameout. I've had to do these prolonged boils in the past due to mistakes involving the overconsumption of homebrew by my brothers. Can't see a problem here. Brew on my friend.

Ok thanks, yea its a light beer but I'm not concerned about if its a bit darker. I doubted that I would get a burnt taste but I just wanted to be sure

Hey blues, I would guess you have been to wolfies in Findlay. What do you think of the place? Sorry kinda off topic

Back