Long Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdochughes

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

while brewing an 11 gallon batch today, a hose popped off during recirculation and I lost about 2 -3 gallons of wort from my mash. I dint have enough DME on hand to supplement up to the gravity I wanted, so I decided to sparge to a lower gravity than I normally do to pick up some extra points. After all was said and done, I realized I would need to boil for about 2.25 hours in order to get my gravity down to where I needed it to be. I have never boiled this long. I was making a Saison with an OG of 1.057 (now 1.053) using 2row and pilsner malt with a a couple pounds of caramunich. Will the long boil give a inappropriate caramalized flavor to the finished beer?

cheers

I wouldn't really be all that worried about the flavors from boiling that long as long as you don't add your hops until the appropriate times near the end of boiling. You will wind up with darker color from boiling that long however, if its not for a competition I wouldn't be overly concerned. You will still wind up with beer and that's never a bad thing.

Back