London Fog Yeast... What next?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edinburger

Reaction score
First time poster but long time spectator here. Howdy!

So, after a while away from brewing I've just brewed an NEIPA which will be ready for kegging on Tuesday and I've been wondering what to do with the yeast, which is a white labs wlp0066, London fog.

My keggerator has room for 3 kegs, so I was thinking about brewing another - stronger - NEIPA with some of the washed yeast and possibly an imperial stout or West Coast with the rest. Does anyone have experience with London Fog or thoughts on where I should go next? It's my first time with it and as yet I've not sampled my current batch and have no idea what to expect.

Thoughts?

Cheers!

I'd be curious if you experimented with a British style and did it as a real ale...mouthfeel is very important in those styles as with NEIPAs

066 wouldn't be a good fit for a classic wcipa, which sport an appreciably drier finish than new england style.
Should work with a stout as long as the ABV is within its wheelhouse...

Cheers!

I'd be curious if you experimented with a British style and did it as a real ale...mouthfeel is very important in those styles as with NEIPAs

That's exactly the sort of suggestion I was looking for, hadn't considered that at all. Perhaps an 80 shilling?

Not sure how that would work considering the hop bill in the current batch though, wouldn't there some risk of tainting it with an an overly hoppy quality?

066 wouldn't be a good fit for a classic wcipa, which sport an appreciably drier finish than new england style.
Should work with a stout as long as the ABV is within its wheelhouse...

Cheers!

Think the stout is a definite goer, Fog can handle up to 12% seemingly so I think its a must.

Fog also works very good in a NEIPA. I've used it before and was not disappointed. I personally prefer 1318 as I think it kicked more esters. Could ferment fog a little higher, maybe 68-69 and see the same. Fog did drop a little clearer than 1318, but never did go crystal clear. I'm not one to care about what my neipa looks like as long as the taste is right.

That's exactly the sort of suggestion I was looking for, hadn't considered that at all. Perhaps an 80 shilling?

Not sure how that would work considering the hop bill in the current batch though, wouldn't there some risk of tainting it with an an overly hoppy quality?
Good point, I suppose as long as you select the right style then it could work. Anything in the "Bitter" family BJCP 11a-c or a strong ale 17A or maybe even an English IPA 12c would work imho.
Even if the hoppiness does carry over it likely would not conflict with any of these styles as long as you're hopping the new beer with good Noble hops! English style guidelines preclude new world hop aromas, but most of those aromas are very volatile.
I do agree that if you brewed with a lot of resinous, dank hops that may present slightly in the next beer so a higher alcohol style may be advised in that case.

Back