London Ale yeast WLP013 short stormy fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Rhoads

Reaction score
Folks,
I started a batch of oatmeal stout (initial SG 1.050) the other day. Pitched a starter of London Ale (WLP013) at 25C around noon. It was bubbling moderately by 2PM (maybe sooner) the next day, but had stopped by the next morning. I have only used this yeast once before, and dont remember much about its character. I normally use Wyeast California Ale yeast which puts on a vigorous stormy fermentation, and bubbles for days. I am a bit worried, but probably for no reason. So, does this sound strange for the WLP013? Thanks

give it a few days and when theres no activity check your gravity. Im not familiar with this specific yeast but it isnt unheard of for beer to ferment down in 2 days...and as revvy always says- bubbles are not indicative of fermentation

Checked my gravity upon racking to secondary = 1.01. Nice and dry already. Cant wait.

Back