London Ale III

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riverevir

Reaction score
Hi all!

Hoping to get some thoughts on this... pitched this yeast on Saturday and it was fermenting within 12 hours. As of this post, the yeast is still chilling on top. I'm used to US 05 and have never used this yeast. How long does it normally hang on top? I'm used to US 05 dropping in 48-72 hours.

Has been fermenting between 65 and 68. OG was 1.054 and it's pretty close to done (at 1.018 when I dryhopped).

Thanks in advance, but here if I left out any details.

Also brewed with this first time on Saturday, also activity within 12 hours, OG 1.060. Ran at 64-65. I checked gravity with a refractometer Monday night (day 3), as bubbling stopped, and if my calculator is right, I was close to terminal gravity with a big Krausen on top. I wanted to try and spund/keg hop with some points left, but just couldn't on Monday due to other commitments. So last night (Tuesday), it seemed to be hanging out on top, but was dropping as I transferred into the keg to finish/spund/dry hop. Looking at my spunding pressure, its not rising much, so I think it's done, confirming the corrected refractometer reading. I'll probably let it sit in The keg another week, then (gasp) force carb and serve...though I'm also tempted to throw som dextrose in tonight and naturally carb....

Sorry for the non-expert opinion, but thought I'd share as a first timer, had similar experience.

Pretty great to get confirmation on my exact timeline - what did you make? Mine was a Pale ale with some Oats. Along the lines of a hophands recipe from a local blogger. My hop schedule is way different but ibus end up around the same. The folks at tired hands seemed to bristle at the idea of the word "clone"

@Riverevir I pitched a starter of 1318 Saturday. Pitched and held at 64 SG 1.067. Dry hopped 36 hrs in 1.040. Yesterday it was 1.021 and raiesed to 66. Today I didn’t check but I raised to 68. Tomorrow I will raise to 70 and hold til Sunday then cold crash and transfer Tuesday or Wednesday.

It is a beast and don’t be surprised if it is done in four or five days. Some NEIPA guys go grain to glass in 8 days.

Last edited:
1318 is what some call a true "top-cropping" yeast, the krausen persists for a long time. You can always scoop some along with a bit of the beer into sanitized mason jars to pitch later...

Thanks for the thoughts - I was planning to pull from the yeast cake after it falls and settles out. Can't wait to try this beer!

My beer is a pale ale with NEIPA leanings. probably trying too many things at once, with main goals of targeting a base malt profile I like, using up some leftover hops cascade for mild bittering/mid boil, mosaic citra in whirlpool and dry), and first time attempting to Krausen spund and dry hop in a keg...also getting biotransformation in the hops....but I think I missed the hop window by 24 hours. And of course trying 1318, to see how it stacks up with 1968 (fullers), which is currently my favorite IPA yeast. I'm 70% 2 row, 20% Vienna, 5% malted wheat, and 5% carafoam. I didn't have the guts to dump oats in there. It's a bit of a Frankenstein of a beer, that I hope to learn from.

I usually do a 2nd dryhop around day eight and there's always krausen present at that point.

As mentioned above 1318 is a top cropping strain. The Krausen tends to sit for quite some time. It's become my house yeast and has done great work in 6 NEIPA's, a Stout and 2 kettle sours. I'm currently building a huge starter for a barley wine. I always have a jar in the fridge. 2 and 3rd generation in my opinion are the best!

How do the 2nd and 3rd generations differ from the 1st (which I'm about to finish)? Definitely plan on washing this ESB round, then.... Nut Brown maybe.

Last edited:
3rd generation in my Stout just in general played well with all the heavier roasty notes in my opinion as its more fruity characters played well. The 2nd generation was super tropical and fruit forward and I feel really pushed the fruit notes of the Citra and Amarillo hops during dry hop and bio transformation. I used a new 1st gen pitch just recently on a NEIPA and it wasn't nearly as fruit forward, same recipe as the previous mentioned one.

Awesome - I might just go ahead and follow you down that road. Got NEIPA and Stout recipe on my list. :mug:

Back