London Ale 3 Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vindee

Reaction score
Is the London Ale 3 only available in a Smack Pack or can you get it in a direct pitch?
Thanks

Is the London Ale 3 only available in a Smack Pack or can you get it in a direct pitch?
Thanks

Wyeast smack packs just have a nutrient pouch inside to proof the yeast. You don't need to use it. You can open and use as-is without smacking if you want.

Thanks
According to Kristen England's compilation and research, Wyeast 1318 London Ale Yeast III is Boddington's house yeast and there is no White Labs equivalent. Other sources indicate that in fact WLP-066 London Fog is Boddington's, as are Imperial A38 Juice and Omega OYL-011 British Ale V. I can't swear to the accuracy of any of the sources, but I'd bet the White Labs and the Omega would be awfully close if not exact matches.

@vindee You'd have to reach out to Wyeast directly. They may be able to get you something.

I just did this with Imperial Yeast L09 Que Bueno. They sent me a 0.5L pitch of yeast for a half barrel batch. Worked out perfectly. Paid an arm and a leg for shipping but got me out of a pinch.

EDIT - I think I misunderstood your question. I read "direct pitch" as "commercial pitch". Disregard my comment above.

Wyeast smack packs just have a nutrient pouch inside to proof the yeast. You don't need to use it. You can open and use as-is without smacking if you want.
Didn't think of it that way. Good to know. When pitching Saturday I thought I broke the pouch inside before I pitched but then realized it had not broke open after dumping in the yeast and screwed with trying to smack it after the main pouch was open and emptied. I hate screwing around like that at a critical time of the brew day so that's why I prefere direct pitch.
Thanks for all the responses!

Didn't think of it that way. Good to know. When pitching Saturday I thought I broke the pouch inside before I pitched but then realized it had not broke open after dumping in the yeast and screwed with trying to smack it after the main pouch was open and emptied. I hate screwing around like that at a critical time of the brew day so that's why I prefere direct pitch.
Thanks for all the responses!

If you really want to make sure that the yeast is good you can make a starter. I make mine 1 week+ in advance, save some extra for the next batch in a separate mason jar, and then jar it in the fridge. It crashes out nicely over a couple days. Then I know the yeast is good, I have plenty of it, and I have some for next time, too!
To use I take it out, decant the starter beer to the sink, swirl it up and pour it in.

If you really want to make sure that the yeast is good you can make a starter. I make mine 1 week+ in advance, save some extra for the next batch in a separate mason jar, and then jar it in the fridge. It crashes out nicely over a couple days. Then I know the yeast is good, I have plenty of it, and I have some for next time, too!
To use I take it out, decant the starter beer to the sink, swirl it up and pour it in.
I like it!

Back