Loki -- anything I should be (a)ware of?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewZer

Work is the curse of the drinking class.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Going to do a SMaSH on Loki next weekend, and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks about working with this Voss Kveik

Am I the first person on HBT to use this stuff?

ETA: something weird is going on with search, 'cause when I searched before, all I got was this thread.

Now there's many results.

I have used 2 Kveik strains so far, Lutra and Hornindal. Loki is a Voss strain but I am sure it will act the same as the other Norwegian farmhouse strains. The only thing I can say to look out for is, use a blow off tube! Both of the strains I have used so far rip through the wort quickly!! I was fermenting around 77 degrees though. The warmer you ferment the crazier these little beasts are.

Not used loki but several other kveik.

Around 35 celsius. Oxygenate, double dose of yeast nutrient.
Sufficient headspace / blowoff or pressure to control krausen.

Don't blink or you'll miss the krausen.
Underpitch is better than overpitch.
No starter.

Keep it hot a couple of days after FG and then cold crash and keg / bottle.

Dry the yeast slurry on grease proof paper as per david heath homebrew video and then you will have yeast for years.

EDIT Have used voss so appears same strain but in dry form.

I've used both Loki and the Lallemand dry Kveik; first time I used Loki it threw HUGE pineapple/citrus flavors (which is what I was going for, fortunately). Fermented around 80-90 because that's where I could keep it. I've been using the Lallemand dry for the last few batches, it doesn't throw the esters around quite like the Loki but still does well. I will reiterate what @DuncB said, underpitching is way better than overpitching, or even pitching at what we would call "normal" rates for ales. I used a whole packet of the dry in a Kolsch, and it took a couple of weeks for the beer to be what I wanted it; it had no citrus to start with, and a slight off-flavor that was what I would call "meaty". Since then I've used a scant cup of the slurry (BTW this yeast is GREAT in further generations) and I've gotten much better results.

I've used both Loki and the Lallemand dry Kveik; first time I used Loki it threw HUGE pineapple/citrus flavors (which is what I was going for, fortunately). Fermented around 80-90 because that's where I could keep it. I've been using the Lallemand dry for the last few batches, it doesn't throw the esters around quite like the Loki but still does well. I will reiterate what @DuncB said, underpitching is way better than overpitching, or even pitching at what we would call "normal" rates for ales. I used a whole packet of the dry in a Kolsch, and it took a couple of weeks for the beer to be what I wanted it; it had no citrus to start with, and a slight off-flavor that was what I would call "meaty". Since then I've used a scant cup of the slurry (BTW this yeast is GREAT in further generations) and I've gotten much better results.
GREAT news! I'm using Galaxy and Loki, so if I get the pineapple/citrus, it'll play right up the alley I'm bowling in. Thanks for the replies everyone!

Back