Log Splitters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgln

Reaction score
I guess I don't post here much but I would like some input if anyone has any.

I usually split wood with an axe, tough or large logs I cut short with a chainsaw and that makes them much easier to split. I usually get a couple cords through the summer from here and there but I happened to come across about 7 8' bed pickup truck loads full of wood and that is a LOT to split by hand and the sooner I get it split the better chances are I can burn some of it by Feb.

I have been thinking of getting a log splitter for years but they can be expensive for a good one large enough for what I need (maybe 2' across logs the most). I do have a JD 950 tractor so I can use that for power. There are 2 kinds for a 3 point hitch...one that uses the hydraulics and one that attaches to the PTO. I am interested in the PTO type, seems easier to connect.

Any thoughts?

I was the log splitter since 4th grade and our house was solely heated by wood stoves. Starting in 7th grade, my youth group's usual fund raiser for winter camp was to auction off a day of labor and I was always bought by someone with a pile of logs to split. I wonder if that has anything to do with why I installed an electric insert in my fireplace?

Get the splitter and be done with it, I go through about 4-5 cords every winter and after cutting the wood I would haul it back home and get out a maul and a sledge hammer and would split it like that, I did that for 7 years, my father and I would spend a weekend splitting what would take me about 3-4 weeks to burn, a couple years ago I got a splitter and will never look back, I can split in 2 hours what it it would take us 2 days to do, and that counts cleaning up and putting everything away................get the splitter...........then you can spend more time brewing beer

Get the splitter and be done with it, I go through about 4-5 cords every winter and after cutting the wood I would haul it back home and get out a maul and a sledge hammer and would split it like that, I did that for 7 years, my father and I would spend a weekend splitting what would take me about 3-4 weeks to burn, a couple years ago I got a splitter and will never look back, I can split in 2 hours what it it would take us 2 days to do, and that counts cleaning up and putting everything away................get the splitter...........then you can spend more time brewing beer

What kind did you wind up buying?

A lot to be said about working a handle with one hand, and holding a beer with the other. i built one about 30 years ago. still loving it.

Never used one of these, but the video shows that they split the wood real fast:

For really big pieces you might want to get a splitter that will work vertically.

Latest posts

Back