locating jaggery sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatMonsters

Reaction score
Anyone know where to get jaggery sugar. I am tweaking a recipe from Radical Brewing and it calls for jaggery sugar, but it is now where to be found locally around me. Is there website that has it?

I did the Running Dog IPA from that book and it called for Demerra sugar I just used unrefined brown sugar from the local whole foods co-op and it seemed to work fine.

All it is is a form of unrefined cane sugar. So, check your local "health" food store. Sugar-in-the-raw and Turbino are two brand names you are likely to find in the US.

Mulcahey's Brewing said:
Anyone know where to get jaggery sugar. I am tweaking a recipe from Radical Brewing and it calls for jaggery sugar, but it is now where to be found locally around me. Is there website that has it?
just out of curiousity, which recipe is this? there are some awesome recipes in there!

i've been meaning to make his viking brew :D

Jaggery is palm sugar, not cane sugar, but fairly similar to raw / turbinado / demerra sugar. A little different taste, but similar. If you have an Indian or Asian grocery store, check there. I have several big Asian markets around here, and it goes for $1-1.50/lb. Comes in a big disc or bag of small golf-ball size mini lumps.

DeathBrewer said:
just out of curiousity, which recipe is this? there are some awesome recipes in there!

The Three Nipple Tripel recipe. In a later chapter, he talks about fruit in beers. And one of the recommendations is a Mango Tripel. I was thinking of doing this, but maybe adding a couple of different fruits to make a tropical tripel. I am still tweaking the recipe. yeah that book is really good, I loosely based my Mint Chocolate stout recipe off his in the book and it came out awesome!

javedian said:
If you have an Indian or Asian grocery store, check there.

The only indian market in town closed. There is an asian market, I didn't think they would carry it but I will check. Thanks for the tip!!

I did try the local health food store and they have turbinado, date sugar and beet sugar. I thought Turbinado was different from jaggery. Are they similar enough? I am going to try the asian market, but if they don't have it I need an alternative...

javedian said:
Jaggery is palm sugar, not cane sugar, but fairly similar to raw / turbinado / demerra sugar. A little different taste, but similar. If you have an Indian or Asian grocery store, check there. I have several big Asian markets around here, and it goes for $1-1.50/lb. Comes in a big disc or bag of small golf-ball size mini lumps.

Lots of Indian recipes call for Jaggery... one of my favorites one of my coworkers taught me us adu pak. Basically jaggery, butter, coconut, and ginger fried together then cooled. It makes this DELICIOUS dessert!

There is a palm sugar sold under the brand name of Jaggery, but jaggery sugar sold in India and southeast Asia is cane sugar, almost without exception.

Lots of health food stores sell sucanat---it's pure unrefined dried cane juice, even purer than turbinado. It retains its molasses content, making it very flavorful (coffee-like). It also has a smaller proportion of sucrose, which is nice for brewing. I use it in a lot of my brews.

Sucanat (a contraction of "Sugar Cane Natural") is non-refined cane sugar.[1] Unlike refined and processed white sugar, Sucanat retains its molasses content; it is essentially pure dried sugar cane juice. The juice is extracted by mechanical processes, heated and cooled at which point the small brown grainy crystals are formed.

Sucanat is generally accepted as a substitute for brown sugar.[citation needed] Unlike regular brown sugar, sucanat is grainy instead of crystalline. Of all major sugars derived from sugar cane, Sucanat (not a "processed" sugar[2]) ranks the highest in nutritional value, containing a smaller proportion of sucrose than white cane sugar.[3] However, Sucanat (in common with all sugars) is not a significant source of any nutrient apart from carbohydrate.

Sucanat may be confused with Turbinado sugar; however, the two are fundamentally different. Turbinado sugar contains only a trace amount of its original molasses content, making it more or less like refined sugar except with a golden color and a hint of molasses flavor. Sucanat, on the other hand, retains its full molasses content and flavor, thus making it, as stated above, pure dried cane juice. Its grainy form also contrasts with the clear, crystalline form of Turbinado.

If you can't find jaggery, I highly recommend sucanat.

Here, sugar is sugar...but once you smell jaggery, you'll understand...

www.ishopindian.com

That's where I buy my jaggery...and saffron, and white coriander, and...well, lotsa stuff. The jaggery tripel is delicious, btw.

Enjoy!

deluded,

the link you provided lists its jaggery as pure cane juice derived.

I'd like to find a source for the palm-derived jaggery.

Sorry, I read the previous posts, and it didn't click..was still recovering from st. patty's.

I'm afraid I can't find palm derived jaggery. From what wiki says, it's usually only available in the areas where it's made, (southern india).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaggery
Check the third sentence.

There seems to be a brand called "Lion Date Jaggery" that is made from date palms. I've been unable to find it on the internet, however. It's also known as Patali gur, which may help with your searching.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Though, like I said, the jaggery I've bought from that store is delicious, and smells unlike most other unrefined sugars I've bought, but is lighter in color than what your looking for. You could try date syrup.

There is a palm sugar sold under the brand name of Jaggery, but jaggery sugar sold in India and southeast Asia is cane sugar, almost without exception.

Lots of health food stores sell sucanat---it's pure unrefined dried cane juice, even purer than turbinado. It retains its molasses content, making it very flavorful (coffee-like). It also has a smaller proportion of sucrose, which is nice for brewing. I use it in a lot of my brews.

If you can't find jaggery, I highly recommend sucanat.

By the sounds of it, if you can't find sucanat or jaggery, head to the hispanic section and grab some piloncillo cones, which is pretty much the same thing, unrefined cane sugar, almost the same production process as well.

Jaggery can be confusing. Its hard to say, but I think I found some of the ral palm kind for my Otter Warrior IPA. It has a wonderful creamy/buttery aroma in the kettle and also in the week-old sample I pulled to check the gravity. Mosher describes the real palm suga stuff as having that exact aroma so I think I got lucky. Here's that recipe:

4 gallons
Nottingham yeast

5lb 5oz Maris otter
1lb 4oz light DME
1lb 4oz Victory
1lb 2oz Jaggery
8oz Rye malt
8oz American Crystal 60L

(Warrior here is pellet @ 16.1 AA)
.5oz @ 60
.25oz @ 20
.25oz @ 10
.5oz @ 5
.5oz @ 1
2oz Amarillo dry hop
1oz Centennial dry hop

Regular jaggery is the same stuff as panella and piloncillo though.

I got mine at a local indian grocery store. Its called "South Indian Jaggery." The bag lists the manufacterors's site as House of Spices, and the brand on the bag is "Laxmi Brand." When I hit that site, it lists their jaggery as "jaggery gur." Supposedly, the "gur" part means that it's palm sugar, not just sugar cane. It certainly has a maple-butter aroma, which is what Mosher describes in Radical Brewing.

So I guess to find it, make sure the bag says "jaggery gur" not just "jaggery."

does any one know what percent of jaggary, turbinado, and sucanat is fermetable?

and how dry or cidery will they leave your brew?

Latest posts

Back