Local Homebrew Supply Stores

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
There is a wonderful "sticky" here with Homebrew Supply websites. I am wondering, has there ever been an effort here to put together a listing of local homebrew supply stores? I realize it would be a big list, but if forum members would do a little checking and contribute listings, the result could be a pretty comprehensive resource for dealers literally all over the world.

I did a little search last night for Milwaukee and I was frankly quite surprised by the number of stores we have here. I would think that it would be a bit of a difficult business to succeed in as a "brick and mortar" operation.

The other thing that struck me is that if we have about a half a dozen stores here in our area, homebrewing must be very popular.

mmditter said:
I did a little search last night for Milwaukee and I was frankly quite surprised by the number of stores we have here. I would think that it would be a bit of a difficult business to succeed in as a "brick and mortar" operation.

Unfortunately for me, the nearest LHBS is about an hour's drive away.

I've had the same thought about brick & mortar stores. My local LHBS certainly doesn't compete with MoreBeer and the like on either price or selection. I guess the thing the local store must provide to make up for it is expertise and service. In the store, you can get very detailed instructions on how to use things, suggestions for substituting ingrediants, etc.

If I had a store down the street from me, I'd definitely shop there. But I'd probably still order the pricier stuff (large amounts of malt extract, etc) online, because I'm cheap.

mmditter said:
The other thing that struck me is that if we have about a half a dozen stores here in our area, homebrewing must be very popular.

Actually wine making is much more popular. If I remember correctly the guy at my LHBS said it was about 2-3 times more popular. By the way which store do you go to?

My nearest is 3 hours away, but fortunately, I just found a local brewery that will sell me grain and whole hops and give me free yeast pitches.

No homebrew stores, but probably 6 breweries within my county. More like a dozen within 3 hours. Not a bad tradeoff as these things go ;)

Cheers :D

I am lucky, I guess. My HBS is about ten minutes away and we have several brew pubs within a twenty minute radius, including some winners from the GABF (Iron Hill, John Harvard's come to mind). Plus there is a restaurent ten minutes away with Paulener's Hefe on tap.

yep, mine's 1.5 hours away. but we make a beer trip out of it. hit the HBS, lunch at a brewpub, then to a good tap house for a a pint or two.

www.whitelabs.com has a list of HBS by state if that helps.....

My LHBS is just down the street. In the past I did all my shopping on-line but the store by me has gotten much better and their prices are competitive. I like being able to go into the store and talk to an expert when I am buying my supplies. Besides Charlie P says to support your LHBS so I do.
I shop here:
http://www.thebrewhut.com/

sause said:
Actually wine making is much more popular. If I remember correctly the guy at my LHBS said it was about 2-3 times more popular. By the way which store do you go to?

I kind of noticed the popularity of wine making at one of the two stores I go to. I'm not a big wine drinker and don't really have any interest in making wine.

I usually go to the Frugal Homebrewer in Waukesha. I sometimes also go to the Frugal Homebrewer on National in West Allis. Which store to you go to?

I usually go to the Frugal Homebrewer in Waukesha. I sometimes also go to the Frugal Homebrewer on National in West Allis. Which store to you go to?

The first and last time i went to the one in Waukesha they guy was a total prick so I tend to stick with the one on National Ave (same name 2 different owners and not affilated to each other any more).

If I dont go to the LHBS on National there is a decent store up on North Ave about 72nd ST I think. It's a shame The Purple Foot doesnt carry brewing supplys . . . I could literlly walk there in about 5 minutes.

I was really impressed with this HB store I went to today. I searched out the the local stores to get the Kewler Kitz to try to get my sh*t together to be able to start grains. They were the only one to have it. Took a long time to get there and back but it was worth it. The place is called Cap N Cork and is located in the Detroit area of MI. The one thing that impressed me the most is that thats all they sell. Beer and wine brewing supples. Thats it. Nice size place and they seem to have a lot of the out of the "run of the mill" stuff. I have actually never seen a store JUST sell brewing stuff. Usually its a wine store.... or they sell something else (like gardening or hydroponics). In the hour I was there A LOT of people that went through the place too. They, from my perspective, are pretty much in the middle of nowhere and have a cornered market for that area. The owner was real nice too. I've been to places where the owners attitude makes you wonder how they are still in business. It does not look like they sell much online, but it does look like they are the place to go for Hops rhyzonmes, but you better order soon as the cut off time is March 1st!

http://www.capncorkhombrew.com/

I go to the Frugal Homebrewer in Wauk also. I can see where he has a way of being a prick but I would rather go to a guy who knows what he talks about than someone who doesn't know what they carry. I haven't been to the one on National. I actually drive past one LHBS called the Market basket and I drive down to wauk to get some knowledge and some recipes and aren't just kits. And he's cheaper. Plus his equipment kit that you buy to start off comes with a glass carboy instead of a bucket.

I just moved to se vermont, and the only 2 close homebrew supply shops i can find are in rutland and west lebanon, both about 45 minutes away. however, they are actually just a little closet or room off of another store, ones a package store and the other is a health food store. and neither one has any employees who know about homebrewing. the one in rutland actually has yeast from 3 or 4 years ago and no grain mill!!!

the only other place i know of in the area is in northampton, but they charge like twice as much, but they are dedicated and know what they are talking about. but it's a 2 hour drive.

it's really depressing me, any advice? besides mailorder? the last place i lived was athens ohio, and they had a freakin great shop. the guy would ply me with his latest beers before we even talked about what i wanted to buy. and he sold everything in bulk super cheap. he was so nice that my wife made him cookies for christmas! i just had to plan ahead because a trip there meant spending over an hour just to buy a few ingredients.

so needless to say, my brewing frequency has tapered off a lot.

barrett

Gremlin, I know exactly what you're talking about. I'll go in there for some pale ME and some grain and leave with a buzz and an hour less than I thought I had to brew and do homework. They guy is great and has a ton of stuff to choose from at great prices.

Pumbaa said:
The first and last time i went to the one in Waukesha they guy was a total prick so I tend to stick with the one on National Ave (same name 2 different owners and not affilated to each other any more).

I agree, the guy in Waukesha isn't real friendly. They have much better hours there, though, and generally have more supplies in stock. The guy on National is pretty nice and helpful. There's also a guy who works on Thursdays I think who sold me my starter kit. He was really cool.

I didn't realize the Purple Foot doesn't sell homebrewing supplies. What do they have there?

gremlin said:
SNIP> the only 2 close homebrew supply shops i can find are in rutland and west lebanon, both about 45 minutes away. SNIP>

the only other place i know of in the area is in northampton, but they charge like twice as much, but they are dedicated and know what they are talking about. but it's a 2 hour drive.

it's really depressing me, any advice?

barrett

Gremlin-

Here is your closest option as far a a homebrew supply:

RCA Distributors
10 North Street
North Walpole, NH 03609
(603) 445-2018

This guy will get you anything you need, It is a one man operation.

You could also consider becoming buddies with the fellah's over at the Seven Barrel Brewery in West Leb. Once they get to know you, they may be cool with selling you malt and hops at a wholesale rate (if you buy it in bulk). :mug:
It would also help if you gave them plenty of samples of your beer.

Mt. Washington Homebrew supply in Littleton, NH could also prove to be a good resource for you.

http://www.brewbyyou.com/

I have friends that make a trip up there from the Brattleboro area a few times a year to stock up on supplies.

The place in Nothampton is great, very knowledgable and they have tons of stuff. I agree that it is a bit pricey. :mad:

I hope this information helps.

mmditter said:
I agree, the guy in Waukesha isn't real friendly. They have much better hours there, though, and generally have more supplies in stock. The guy on National is pretty nice and helpful. There's also a guy who works on Thursdays I think who sold me my starter kit. He was really cool.

I didn't realize the Purple Foot doesn't sell homebrewing supplies. What do they have there?

For what it's worth, both of my Southeastern WI friends, you should try the HomeBrewing Depot on 72nd and North if you're ever in the Wauwatosa area. The guy who owns it is very knowledgeable and friendly. He has a good selection and sells kitchen equipment, too, so it's easy to coax the wife into stopping by if you're out and about and need some new ingredients. (my wife loves beer, so it's not a hard sell anyway) He emails a monthly newsletter w/ specials and seasonal brew recipes. Really nice guy. Here's the address and phone number. Be sure to get signed up for the email.

The Pantry and Homebrewing Depot
7215 W. North Avenue
Wauwatosa, WI 53213
(414)-778-0781

The best part for me, a guy who works 8-6 every day is he is usually open until 7-8 at night most nights and is open on both Saturday and Sunday. Next time your significant other drags you along to the Mayfair Mall, stop in and check it out. You won't be dissappointed.

Back