Local Cuisine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have a dish that originates from your locality?

Lancashire Hotpot is the one that springs to mind around here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancashire_Hotpot

It's cheap to make and very tasty.
Uses cheap meat and no real skill to make.

Lamb neck (Scrag end) 1 chop per person
Potatoes, carrots, onion, bay leaf, thyme, salt, pepper and a little stock and water.

The scrag end is cheap and needs cooking slow but it is one of the tastiest and juiciest cuts of lamb. It will fall off the bone and make it's own stock with the hours of cooking

Brown the lamb, add to the pot with stock and seasoning, add onion and carrots, fill with sliced potatoes and water.
Leave in the oven for 4-8 hours.
Serve with pickled red carrots or brown sauce.

Secret weapon can be a dash of Worcestershire Sauce (Not authentic)

Makes a really hearty meal for 4 for around $2 per serving.

0704r03.jpg

Guess what I had for dinner.
(I've eaten mine so this is a stock picture, I make my carrots much chunkier and the potatoes a bit thicker and there are the onions.)
:mug:

I guess technically Maryland is well known for Old Bay seasoning with crab/crab cakes.

I hate Maryland crab almost as much as I hate Old Bay. :/

That looks pretty damned good Orfy. What would be a good substitution for the scragg end of a lamb's neck? Better yet WTF is a scragg end? (Just messing with you, I'll look it up later.)

Seriously, the meal does look appetizing.

PseudoChef said:
Maybe not Nashville per se, but TN ribs have the characteristic dry rub. No sauce needed here.

rendezvousribs.png

mmmmmm.....Rendezvous......drools all over self.

I am 100% serious when I say Rendezvous ruined ribs for me. If I go to a BBQ place now I just get the pulled pork or brisket or something because I know no matter how good their ribs are, I will be dissapointed. Rendezvous IS that good.

McKBrew said:
That looks pretty damned good Orfy. What would be a good substitution for the scragg end of a lamb's neck? Better yet WTF is a scragg end? (Just messing with you, I'll look it up later.)

Seriously, the meal does look appetizing.
It's just the top cut of the neck, the cheap bit, cut into chops about 1" thick.
Chump steak would do or regular neck chops.

Boston Clam Chowder.
Boston Baked Beans.
Boston Cream Pie.
Boston Tea <--- not really tea...
And of course the famous Boston market rotisserie chicken.

I grew up in south-central PA, where the PA Dutch have an entire genre of cuisine they can call their own. There are probably less than three dishes on that list that I can actually enjoy. Imagine the heaviest German food you can, then imagine it with more lard and less flavor.

cubbies said:
mmmmmm.....Rendezvous......drools all over self.

I am 100% serious when I say Rendezvous ruined ribs for me. If I go to a BBQ place now I just get the pulled pork or brisket or something because I know no matter how good their ribs are, I will be dissapointed. Rendezvous IS that good.

Yeah, I didn't think I'd like them the first time I ordered them...I'm just a saucy kind of guy. But yeah, they're amazing.

Weird I'm posting this and Ryan1801 posted TexMex due to location....but

Brisket!! Gotta Love It!

675561893_608b677c24.jpg

Oh and ice tea

Grilled stickies from Ye Olde College Diner.

This is a common stop for most alumni when they invade town. They gotta have their grilled stickies. They're OK.
1.jpg

Yuri_Rage said:
I grew up in south-central PA, where the PA Dutch have an entire genre of cuisine they can call their own. There are probably less than three dishes on that list that I can actually enjoy. Imagine the heaviest German food you can, then imagine it with more lard and less flavor.

Opera Fudge
Pretzels done correctly

Beerrific said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vidalia_onion

It is just an onion, but it is a damn good onion. Harvest time is coming up.

It's amazing that last year my neighbor grew the Vidalia type onion, and I grew the Walla Walla sweet onion. It became really apparent upon tasting them how much the success of that flavor is a result of where it's grown. My Walla Walla's were much sweeter. It is also somewhat related to how you grow them, but location and strain I think come first. So enjoy them while you live there!

:mug: Simplly boiled Dungeness Crab,Barbequed Oysters from Winchester Bay, Fresh Oregon strawberry shortcake. Then in summer,fresh green beans,heirloom tomatoes,sweet corn from the garden Blackberry cobbler. Fall, deer backstrap or Elk venison. Winter, Steelhead salmon thru spring with the Chinook.(Damn,now I'm hungry):D :mug: Always try to keep some good homebrew going.

Great topic, but I feel a little left out because... Um, I live in Delaware (only for the last few years), so... nothing comes to mind. Maybe chicken? Lot of chicken farms around here:cross:.

[From Wayne's World... "We're in... Delaware."]

Can't beat a full Irish Breakfast...
Irish Sausages,
Rashers (like bacon but with the meaty side not the streaky side),
Black and White Pudding (White = Meat, Black = Blood),
Fried Mushrooms,
Fried Tomato,
Fried Eggs,
Fried Potato,
Baked Beans (Maybe)
Tea and Toast (Important)

It's like a heart attack in a pan... Glorious!!!

Also,
Irish Stew (with or without Guinness),
Skirts and Kidneys,
Bacon and Cabbage,

rmck1 said:
Can't beat a full Irish Breakfast...
Irish Sausages,
Rashers (like bacon but with the meaty side not the streaky side),
Black and White Pudding (White = Meat, Black = Blood),
Fried Mushrooms,
Fried Tomato,
Fried Eggs,
Fried Potato,
Baked Beans (Maybe)
Tea and Toast (Important)

It's like a heart attack in a pan... Glorious!!!

I love those!... once in a blue moon and as long as I'm planning extreme exercise for the day. Mmmm... black pudding.

Short Drive said:
In Racine its Kringle.
CLASSICKRINGLETRIO.JPG

Oh man, I love a good kringle. Not that knock off stuff that is spreading around the Midwest. Give me O&H or Larsens - pecan or raspberry.

My parents grew up in Racine and I went there many times in my youth. I always look forward to the holidays and going home as someone will have made the trip to Racine and bought some of the good stuff.

Yuri_Rage said:

I'm with ya. Hell, growing up in my family you would think that there were only two spices in the world. Salt and Pepper.

I must say that I like quite a few things on that list.
I can't say I have ever had scrapple though.

Ryan_PA said:
Philly Cusine:

Scrapple:
scrapple-b.jpg

Pork Roll:
300px-Porkrollfrying2.jpg

Actually, now that I think of it, those are both very good (and tasty!) examples of PA cuisine :D. Nothing like some good fresh Scrapple, Two fresh eggs over easy, hashbrowns and toast for breakfast! :) mmmmmmm

CatchinZs said:
I'm with ya. Hell, growing up in my family you would think that there were only two spices in the world. Salt and Pepper.

I must say that I like quite a few things on that list.
I can't say I have ever had scrapple though.

Well any group of people that feels Pepper is an exotic spice is most likely not going to be very adventurous :D

Try some Scrapple, it is mostly cornmeal but there are some 'variety' pork parts in there.

That's my point...both sides of my family come from a long line of PA dutch.
I personally haven't had it but my grandfather loves it.

Case in point, my wife is vegetarian and my grandmother said and I quote, "What does she eat for supper if she doesn't eat meat?"

jezter6 said:
I forgot to add one of the other local favorites that doesn't seem to make it out of PA alive: Lebanon Bologna!!!
I had no idea that was regional. I freaking love that stuff...

What is the dutch doughnut called that you eat on Fat Tuesday? I remember a guy bringing them to work once, and they essentually ate through the paper plates with grease and lard.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Edited with a quote from Wikipedia:
Lebanon bologna is a type of semi-dry sausage similar in appearance and texture to salami, although it is somewhat darker colored. Made from salted beef, it has a distinctive smoky taste, owing to the smoking process by which it is cured. It is additionally aged for at least 10 days, which generally overlaps with the smoking. Originating with the Pennsylvania Dutch, it is commonly available in South Central Pennsylvania, where it is often served as a luncheon meat. It was probably named for the Lebanon Valley of Lebanon County, Pennsylvania, wherein it is commonly produced.

Fastnacht

And Lebanon Bologna is very regional. I can rarely get it in MD, and a friend of mine in GA used to ask me to mail her some because she missed it. :)

Pork Steaks: Just a pork butt sliced into steaks then grilled and smothered in your favorite BBQ sauce.

400px-Pork_steaks_cooking-1.jpg

Toasted Raviolis: Not so easy but delicious.

27686323_14b59aa3d8.jpg

I too am from delaware so all I can claim in whats around. Like philly and baltimore but I spend alot of time in lancaster and any Amish dessert is amazing.

Back