LME wheat kit with Nottingham yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoxerDog

Reaction score
I know to some of you hefe lovers, that this is a bad idea, but I wanted some thoughts about it. The last couple of Hefes I have done were huge problems with banana taste that has left me losing my taste for even commerical hefes because of it as strange as it is.

What type of flavor would I get from LME with some DME added and nottingham yeast?

Give the Hefes another chance. Try fermenting with weizen yeast at cooler temps. Nothing about 65-66F (internally) for fermentation as you should be good...

I want to give them a chance, but what about using a "less" flavorful yeast like nottingham? what would that be like? I want a safe brew.

If you want to run dry w/ wheat, try Fermentis Safbrew T-58 for a more American style wheat w/ a bit of zip and no nanner

safale us-05 or WLP001 would be good for an american hefe

i still use WLP300 for all my weizens, tho...i just do some clearing and extra hops with my american style.

I really dont want to do a traditional Hefe, I used to love Paulaner and frankskanizer, but after I made a hefe that turned into banana bread beer. After that I lost all my taste for real german hefes. All I taste now is banana flavor and there is a possiblity that my local beer store has let some of their beer go bad, as its just not as crisp as it used to be.

What would a good temp be for a nottingham type yeast during stage 1.

I'm with you BoxerDog. I don't like German hefe's enough to brew 5 gallons of them, but I like a good clean American Wheat. I've got a batch I fermented with Safale S-05 ready to bottle this weekend. As for your Nottingham, I'd keep it in the 60's, maybe around 65 or so to get a clean flavor with full fermentation. Keep it below 70 to avoid off flavors.

I did two batches of Dude's Boulevard Wheat Clone https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=6366&highlight=boulevard+wheat and used Wyeast 1010 American Wheat. The first batch was awesome and everyone I shared it with liked it. The second batch I made I pitched on the previous batch's yeast cake and didn't get to bottling it for a while. I had autolysis problems with it (burnt tire flavor ect).

Wyeast 1010 will do good for you if you keep it cool.

I've had temps on Nottingham get away from me on a batch. I'd rather drink wheat beer that got away from me on temps, personally. I like bananas. The Nottingham produced fusel alcohols and tasted like drinking beer with a decent amount of bad moonshine.

Seems to me if you're going to use dry yeast you can't go wrong with Safale US-56. It doesn't seem as fussy as Nottingham with temps if you don't have a good way to moderate them.

brewt00l said:
If you want to run dry w/ wheat, try Fermentis Safbrew T-58 for a more American style wheat w/ a bit of zip and no nanner

Personally, I disagree with this statement. I have used T-58 on my hefes and I get BIG clove and banana flavors. People have even commented on the fact that the beer are very "hefeweizen-ish".

Poppy360 said:
Personally, I disagree with this statement. I have used T-58 on my hefes and I get BIG clove and banana flavors. People have even commented on the fact that the beer are very "hefeweizen-ish".

Interesting, that yeast is infamous for not producing trad hefe nanner flavors.

What temp did you ferment at? I have never used it above 69-70 degrees and haven't experienced anything like you describe.

The first brew was at 73*F and the second was 66*F. The second brew has huge clove flavors and the first had more banana, but was still "clovey". I like the clove flavor for this time of year, since it's more of a Winter-ish spice.

When compared to an American Hefe, you'd think this came straight from Germany. I haven't had a chance to compare to a traditional German hefe since I pretty much only drink the hefe's I brew.

None the less, I got great banana and clove flavors from the yeast.

kooky..I have used it a few times and never a hint of banana, nor have I otherwise read of someone getting those esters with this yeast.

Latest posts

Back