LME vs DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReaperOnefour

Reaction score
Hello all. Well, I was going to brew an American cream ale today. ( One gallon) However we're having a heat wave out here in northern California, I don't have AC & I didn't feel like standing over a pot of boiling wort. So brew day has been postponed till next Saturday. (Depending on the weather.) The kit that I have has a DME. I've never used a DME before. With the LME ive been 1 steep grains, 2 bring to boil, 3 turn off flame & add LME, 4 start 45 min timer add first hop addition, & continue with the recipe. So with the DME should I follow the same routine? Or is it better to add the DME while the wort is boiling? And finally. Is it better to use LME, or the DME?

I prefer DME*. Take the kettle off the heat when you add your DME. Follow the instructions just like you do for your LME recipes.

*DME is easier to measure, easier to add, easier to store. I also think the extract beers that I have done with DME turn out better than my LME batches.

You should be fine adding your DME like you have your LME, just remember that DME gets sticky when it is exposed to humidity and to really stir that stuff in.

I prefer DME to LME. I've never felt great about storing LME. DME I just put in a ziplock bag and throw it in the freezer. I usually don't use old, pre-opened extract for making beer, I'll usually use it for starters, or when I make some kind of yeasted dough, like for bread or pizza or even waffles.

Thanks fellas for all the great tips. I've heard that dme is better. I've had some batches that came out with a cider taste. I hear if you get a bad lme that can happen.

I've heard that dme is better. I've had some batches that came out with a cider taste. I hear if you get a bad lme that can happen.

I've personally never heard this before. However, I have heard from many podcasts that Extract does leave a bit of a different (shall we say) "twang" all around.
I've never been able to tell but some swear by the difference between all-grain and extract.

I personally have never been able to tell a difference between LME and DME.

I just brewed an American Wheat with straight DME and an Irish Stout with a partial mash and LME, and here are the differences I noticed. (5 gallon batch)

With 6 lbs. of DME, I got an OG of 1.060. With 6.6 lbs. of the LME and steeping 1 lb. of roasted grain, I got an OG of 1.056. Anyone else experience this? I heated up the LME and used a spatula to get it all out, so I didn't short the batch any malt.

And with the DME, if you've got a lot of steam coming off of the boil, it will make the malt sticky and harder to get out of the bag. I usually move it to an unused burner and let it sit for a little bit before adding.

Happy brewing!

So is it better to add the DME to cold water, then bring it to a boil? To minimize the clumping. Or if adding the DME to hot water...is better is it easier to dump the whole package of dme then mix? Or add a little bit at a time while mixing?

I don't think it matters if the water his hot or cold, but it would probably dissolve better in hot. I usually dump in the whole bag and then mix it and break up the clumps. I'm sure it's just personal preference.

Thanks tropic thunder. I've heard brewers say to add it to cold water, & I've heard some brewers say hot water is better. So I was just curious.

Back