LME vs DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mateok

Reaction score
I just converted one of my LME partial mash recipes to DME. It appears the color is way off from my previous LME batches. Are there large Fluctuations between the two? My OG readings were spot on, so I believe the ratios were Correct.

LME is more subject to carmelizing, so it can be darker if added early in the boil. A lot of people use late LME additions to lessen the carmelizing effects (add say 10-15 minutes from end of boil).

If the color changed going to DME from LME, did it get lighter?

When you converted the recipe, did you account for the fact that you need approx. 20% less DME than LME?

DME has much less water than LME, so less DME is needed to reach the same OG/SRM compared to the same beer made with LME.

Yes, I converted 7.5 lbs of LME to 6 lbs of DME. That is why I'm puzzled by the color change. Thanks for the questions...I'd like to understand what went awry.

What specific brand/grade of DME are you using now?

What specific brand/grade of LME did you use in the past?

Did the boil volume, boil length, or batch size differ at all?

In both cases, did you add the extract all at the same time?

It would usually go the other way around but you never know with LME. DME is more consistent but comparing the two (light to light etc) isn't apples to apples. They sell an extra light DME that gives a pretty darned light colored brew.

YOu might also have gotten a darker version of one of your parital mash malts.

I had always been using a light LME, that wasn't really that light. We recently brewed a Wheat Hefe using Whear DME, and I was very impressed with how light the wort came out when it went into primary!

it also kinda depends on how old the lme is. It can oxidize over time. Having it the other way around is a bit surprising. Could have been switching of companies?

Back