LME vs. DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fritz_monroe

Reaction score
I've read around here about how some people use strictly DME. My LHBS has some recipes that I really like, but they all include both DME and LME. Is there some kind of conversion factor? If the recipe calls for a 3.3# can of wheat extract, how much wheat DME would I use? Is there anything I need to change in my brewing process to use just DME? Thanks.

The guy and my store said the DME was about 20% stronger than the LME. I don't know if that holds true for every brand though.

1lb DME =1.25 LME

So, yeah, about 20% (or 25%) stronger.

Even better if you can calculate the contribution of the extracts points/pound/gallon.
You can see it explained in reference to grain: http://www.howtobrew.com/section2/chapter12-5.html
It holds true for extract too.

This way you can take the expect OG from the all LME (for example) and convert it to DME exactly.

There is some variation from extract to extract but the 20% Beerrific gave you is close enough and easy to work with. If you calculate using using Gravity Units you get about 45 per pound of dry, 38 from liquid.

I've used both and find dry much easier to work with as you can measure it easily and add it too your pot easily. Some feel liquid has better flavor. Your mileage may vary.

Beerrific said:
I think DME is better. I think the majority of people on this forum agree.
I don't think it's necessarily better - just easier. It's no problem to use half a pack of DME but using half a can of LME creates storage problems for the rest. If your recipe calls for using an entire can of LME then that's fine.

BarryNL said:
I don't think it's necessarily better - just easier. It's no problem to use half a pack of DME but using half a can of LME creates storage problems for the rest. If your recipe calls for using an entire can of LME then that's fine.

Here are my reasons why I think DME is better:

--Easy to store leftovers, just stick in a zip lock bag.
--Does not age. LME gets darker and builds off flavors with time
--Does not contribute to the "homebrew twang" I think I have had this "twang" in two of my beer, it has been reported by others (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=25131&highlight=liquid+extract+twang )

My first beer I made was half and half LME/DME no twang. The second and third were 100% LME and had a distinct taste to them. My 4th, in secondary now, was a partial mash with all DME...no off flavors at all.

For a couple extra bucks why risk it.

Another plus for DME, it floats until mixed into to the water thus not as likely to scorch.

Downside is it can be a bit messy.

BruDaddy said:
Another plus for DME, it floats until mixed into to the water thus not as likely to scorch.

Downside is it can be a bit messy.

Indeed, people think all-grain is difficult, but compared to dealing with DME/LME, I find it a lot easier...

That's a really cool calculator. I'll have to play around with it when I have some time. Thanks.

Back