LME Substitute for DME in recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbeard5289

Reaction score
I've notice in some clone recipes that it calls for x.x pounds of DME and x.x pounds of LME.

Is there a problem with doing all LME for a recipe instead of both DME and LME?

I know that it matters if the recipe calls for a darker/wheat DME along with a lighter LME or vice versa.

But is there any side effects (taste, color, etc) if the recipe calls for say x.x pounds of light DME and x.x pounds of light LME if I substitute all light LME into the recipe?

Thanks for the help, I am totally having a brain fart today...
Redbeard5289

No, it'll work just fine. It's not a one-for-one substitution, though. 1 pound of LME is about equal to .80 pound of DME.

The reason for the mix of DME and LME in a recipe is usually because the recipe maker was limited in one type of ingredient. For example, in my one recipe, I had a 3.3 pound can of LME. I didn't one to buy another can when I only need a bit more, so I bought some DME to make up the rest of the fermentables. DME comes in one pound bags, which was convenient for me.

I've heard that using LME can result in a darker colored beer. I combat this by adding 70% of the LME during the last 10 min. Some say that LME has a distinctive taste that is not present in DME. I've used LME (wheat, light, and extra light) with no issues or off flavors.

Bulk LME is way cheaper for me than DME ($1.95 a pound v. $3.33 a pound) so it's what I use most often. I'm brewing an American Blonde/Golden ale and I plan on using DME to attain a lighter color, but otherwise I find that LME fits the bill.

There's a really good discussion of LME v. DME in the "This v. That" sticky.

Thanks for answering my questions.

I figured as much but I was having a brain fart today and needed a second opinion...

Thanks again
Redbeard5289

Back