LME storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gropo

Reaction score
Searched the forum, but didn't find an answer.
Should LME be stored in the fridge, or at normal (72) room temps? Probably going to be a couple weeks till I get around to using what I've got.
Thanks.

I always store mine at room temp.

I've always stored mine at room temps too, but I thought I remember reading somewhere about refrigerating it. My concern was the sugar crystalizing in the "too cold temps" of the fridge, but I figured that anything to maintain the freshest possible conditions could be best.

3 weeks considered short term?

Yes

lhbs's store it at room temp

Yes, but this depends on if we are talking bulk, canned, and even if bulk from a container that meets oxygen or not. If it was bulk that were to be exposed to oxygen, and they didnt move product quickly, I wouldn't want mine from it stored at room temp. Canned or forced out with CO2 as some do with barrels of LME no problem. A breiss 33 pound or whatever the size is jug that they pour it out of open and sitting on the shelf for an extended peiod waiting for a customer no thanks.

Tp the OP, how is it packaged and where was it purchased?

I have stored/kept previously opened LME in the 60-65 degree range for months. Don't worry about it for the timeframe you are looking at.

Back