LME or DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuzzyfella

Reaction score
As you may note from my previous threads I am moving from kit beer to partial mash brewing and hope to move onto full grain mash thereafter.

Before I attempt my first batch, to my first recipe (previously listed) Can any of you learned gentlefolk tell me of any discernable difference between 'liquid malt extract' and 'dry (spray) malt extract'. I know that 1kg of dry is equal to 1.5kg of liquid but is there any difference in taste, etc.

Kindest regards,

Fuzzy

Liquid Malt Extract is often "pre-hopped" but I have never seen a pre-hopped dry malt extract.

Some prefer the taste of the liquid malt extract to the Dry Malt Extract but IMHO this is splitting hairs if this is your first batch.

Welcome to the hobby!

From what I have read, the main difference is that the liquid will darken with age. So, if you are making a light-coloured beer, either use DME or very fresh LME. Taste will probably vary from brand to brand more so than liquid to dry. Just get the best brand you can (Muntons for example).

DME usually keeps better, but you usually have fewer choices. DME tends to dissolve more easily into the water, but it can be a little tougher to handle, if you don't watch yourself (i.e., imagine sticky powder going everywhere). DME is easier to measure out, since it is dry. DME is cheaper to ship. That's about it. Enjoy!

TL

To me there is a big difference between fresh LME and canned - If you can find a store that sells fresh bulk LME, I'd try that. They will measure out for you however much you need for a recipe so you can just dump it in and stir. I've made lots of good beer with it and never a bad batch. I was not quite so pleased with the batches I made with canned LME so my second choice would be DME.

All of them will make beer, so at some point I'd recommend trying a batch with each and see if you can tell the difference yourself.

Back