LME issue?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exhorns

Reaction score
I purchased a can of Munton's Extra Light LME with no date I could decipher from the code on the can. I used it anyway since I've never had a problem with ingredients from my LHBS. I also used fresh Light DME and hops. The problems is the wort is quite dark for these ingredients but I added the Wyeast anyway. I had signs of fermentation within 8 hours. According to brew software it should be on the light side obviously but was wondering if anyone had any similar issues or insight. Thanks. Oh, by the way it's supposed to be a Blonde Ale.

Mine was supposed to be a pale ale on the lighter side too. My cooper's can was dated 6/09,which I didn't think to look at till I got back home to brew. The result,with 3lbs Munton's plain extra light DME & hops came out as can be seen in my avatar/gallery.
It basically a lighter gravity Salvator doppel bock,which is still brewed in Germany as an ale. So go for it,you may be pleasantly surprised.
Gary @ Home Brewer TV liked it so much,I got the full 3 thumbs up over a commercial brew. It's on episode #38. So don't be afraid to use it,as long as the can was still sealed,you're good.

Back