LME ~ Can you Freeze?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bschoenb

Reaction score
I've decided to pick up a little on the extract brewing and go a "little" more complex (although not to the mini-mash) and some of the Recipes that I see In Jamil's book all call out for Munich LME. Since I use DME w/steeped grains... the small portions of Munich LME are not available at my LHBS and only large amounts can be ordered.

Can I freeze it? and then pick out the small amount of LME for my specific recipe?

thoughts? If I can't freeze then I may be adjusting the recipe a bit, but I'd like to try some of the recipes without having to start "mashing"... not ready yet.

I dont' see any reason why you couldn't freeze LME. I've frozen wort before (when my yeast wasn't ready) to no ill effects.

I'm not quite sure how Munich LME works, but Munich malt is a base grain. You can use it in lieu of pale or pilsner malt. The same may be true of extract, so if so you could use more than just a bit in recipes.

I've been doing the same thing (Jamil's "Brewing Classic Styles" book), and found that, yes, he uses the crap out of Munich and pale chocolate. PITA. I found that Brewmaster's Warehouse is great for these recipes because they'll blend all of your small amounts of specialty grains together and grind them for you, and they will bucket up very small amounts of Munich extract!

However, if you're not going to use it right away, get a couple of pounds of it and freeze it. I ordered a small amount for his amber ale (West Coast Blaster), like 0.7lb, and it came in a large gallon container, but only covered the bottom inch (if that). Because I wasn't able to get to the brew in a timely manner (like, two months or so), it bloomed and moldered on me, and I had to ditch it and just use more of the Muntons English pale extract in its place.

If I had to do it again, I'd email BW and find out how much a full container is, order that, and just scoop out small amounts at a time with an ice cream scoop. I'd probably cover it with plastic wrap to push out the air, though.

Well why exactly do yo want to freeze it? Having it still in liquid state sitting in the sealed container is the same way it sits in the warehouse for months. I guess you could freeze it but I honestly don't see the point. Correct me if there is some specific reason you need to freeze it that I overlooked.

Others have posted about freezing LME, and it sounds like there's so much sugar that it doesn't freeze easily in a standard freezer. That shouldn't be a problem, though; it should be easier to fit a ziploc bag full of it into smaller odd corners of the freezer. :)

PurpleJeepXJ, I think the OP is freezing it because they want to keep it fresh once the package has been opened. It may sit in a warehouse for months unopened, but once the LHBS cracks the seal, they have a limited time before LME starts to "bloom". Freezing it would negate much of the effects oxygen has on opened foods.

exactly... I want to buy a larger pack in bulk and after warming it freeze it in canning jars w/out 02 for smaller uses as additions. I really prefer DME better, but some of Jamil's recipe's call for small additions of Munich LME and i'd like to give a few a try?

When you're talking about buying large quantities of LME, what constitutes large? I buy LME in bulk at my LHBS. The last time I was there, I bought 41 lbs. It stays good at room temperature for 3-6 months (sometimes longer). double that for the fridge. It can develop mold at the surface, but if you pour a thin layer of vodka on it, the mold won't form. If it does mold, it's only at the surface, so you can still use the LME (scrape the mold off first). I've had LME at room temperature for 6 months with no mold but humidity is low here.

If it comes in a can, transfer it to plastic containers.

Back