LME brewing time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbizzle

Reaction score
I'm substituting LME for DME in an ale recipe. The recipe calls for 60 min boil for the DME. Should I brew the LME for the same time or does it need more?

It isn't the malt extract that needs the 60 minute boil, it's the hops. However, boiling LME for that 60 minutes will darken the beer so we suggest that you use perhaps half of it for the 60 minutes to aid the hop bittering and the rest in the last 5 to 10 minutes of the boil, just enough to pasteurize it.

It isn't the malt extract that needs the 60 minute boil, it's the hops. However, boiling LME for that 60 minutes will darken the beer so we suggest that you use perhaps half of it for the 60 minutes to aid the hop bittering and the rest in the last 5 to 10 minutes of the boil, just enough to pasteurize it.

+1. Even adding the last portion of extract at flameout will be enough to pasteurize it since the wort will still be so hot. For extract recipes, I usually put in 1/2 of the extract at the beginning up to a max of 1 pound per gallon of boiling water. Anything left goes in at flameout.

My last few brews, one pound of extract for the boil, and all of the rest (I previously dissolve it in a gallon of water) goes in at flameout.

Oh, and 1lb of Lme does not = 1lb of dme in case u are not aware. I calculate 1lb Lme to equal .8lb dme when converting.

Back