Little trouble maker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeathBrewer

Maniacally Malty
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My buddy went out this weekend and picked up the newest addition to our household. Say hi to Vandal:

IMG_2479.JPG

IMG_2489.JPG

Mostly Border Collie, but I think there's a little mix in there. He definitely likes to herd. He does this crazy sideways walk everywhere he goes. His only white spots are his chest and about an inch on the end of his tail.

Long ass legs...we were thinking about putting up gates to section off the house but I don't think we could put anything high enough that he couldn't jump over it.

He's still getting used to his name, but seems to be taking well to the back yard for doing his business. If we can just get him to come, sit and stay on command, I think we'll be fine. He likes to do his own thing right now, but he's only 10 months old...I think he'll be very trainable and come around easily.

My dad used to love telling us this story. When I was real young, they used to go to a friends house to barbeque and whatnot. The friends had a border collie that would watch out for us little tykes. They would literally let us play out in front of the house, on a busy street. If any of us would go wandering onto or past the sidewalk, the dog would come off of the porch, grab us by the pants and drag us back onto the lawn. Then resume its position on the porch for observation. Seems kind of a shady story until I heard the friend tell it one time too.

Same dog would also try herding him back home any time he took it for a walk or a bike ride.

Great name for a dog, too!

When I'm sure and very very sure that I'm not allergic to dogs (I tend to stop breathing around cats), I want to get a dog and name him Cicero.

Border collies are notorious herders, and it's impossible to break them. You should make sure that nipping is not one of the traits though. They often nip at heels as part of the herding process. Kids can get frightened when that happens.

No nipping, but he does like to go around your legs a bit. He just runs around the house, checking on everybody, making sure we are where we are supposed to be. He does have some herding traits, but nothing that is a problem. Most of it just makes him an interesting dog.

His first day alone in the house, he sat in his master's room the whole day. Didn't tear anything or piss on anything. There are four of us in the house and we all have slightly different hours, so he'll be let out frequently anyway, and be taken for walks by all of us.

He ONLY does his business in the backyard. It's weird that he doesn't piss when he's taking walks, but at least he's house-trained.

Still doesn't really come when you call him...just kind of ignores you. He'll get it eventually, if we keep at him. Maybe he just doesn't understand the language. Before we got him, some ******* had left this wonderful dog chained to a deck for six months. I think he's found a nice home...he'll be just one of the guys soon.

Back