Little to nop head.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys. I've been sitting back and enjoying the fruits of my labour the last few weeks. The first batch i had made i undercorbonated it, by error, so i assumed that the lack of head on it was due to this. That aside it was a great beer. Now that i have opened my first bottle from the batch of Irish Cream Ale, a beer that is supposed to have alot of head, there is nothing. Even with plenty of Carbonation. If i pour it quiclly to a glass there is some head but it is short lived. please help out here.

Have you been washing your glasses with dish soap? Soap will kill the head on a beer.

Using a dish detergent won't cause this, but regular soap will.

If your only option is to wash them with soap, you can scrub the inside of your beer glasses with salt.....that'll help.

Sam

no i've been using the potasium metabasulfite solution to wash everything.
and especially with the cream ales i would expect quite a good head on it. but nothing. could it be the glass that i'm pouring it into. They are washed with dishsoap but are rinsed after washing. We have no dishwasher.

Jeffs-a-brewin said:
could it be the glass that i'm pouring it into. They are washed with dishsoap but are rinsed after washing. We have no dishwasher.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Glasses washed with dish soap will kill the head on a beer. Try scrubbing down the inside of one with salt, then rinse it out. That'll help take the soap film off of it. That's the way I've heard to do it....maybe someone else knows of another way.

Sam

I usually try to rinse my pint glass out really really well RIGHT before I pour one... then the head may not be GREAT but... after I drink the first one... the head on the second one is better, and by the third it is reall nice.....

or is that just my beer goggles??

well, either way, they all taste about the same :)

Why don't you try a heading agent?

It's not for everyone (purists), but it's there to help anyone who feels the need it.

Were you eating fried chocken or anything else greasy? Dirt and grease on the glasses will kill heads.

Back