Little Tiny Bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barley_Bob

Reaction score
A good friend of mine is a beer enthusiast, but he's on medication that limits the amount of alcohol he can consume. He's down to a paltry 4oz/hr, and he has to space that 4oz out over the whole hour! A travesty, to be sure. I want to be able to give him some homebrew, but it would be insane to give him a 12oz bottle and have him pour 8oz down the drain. Does anyone have any ideas, because I'm at a loss. I should also point out that I don't keg, and I have a wing-a-ling-thing capper (not a bench capper). Thanks for your help!
:mug:

A good friend of mine is a beer enthusiast, but he's on medication that limits the amount of alcohol he can consume. He's down to a paltry 4oz/hr, and he has to space that 4oz out over the whole hour! A travesty, to be sure. I want to be able to give him some homebrew, but it would be insane to give him a 12oz bottle and have him pour 8oz down the drain. Does anyone have any ideas, because I'm at a loss. I should also point out that I don't keg, and I have a wing-a-ling-thing capper (not a bench capper). Thanks for your help!

Give him a growler?

Sounds like this bottle would be perfect:

241AE28E-9503-48E6-878A568E6631DD14.jpg

Anyway, there are little clear bottles that meadmakers use. You can probably find them at a homebrew store. Also, I keep the little screwtop wine bottles for homemade vanilla and hotsauce. The labels come right off. I think they are 187ml, which is 6 oz. Maybe you can find a restaurant that uses these things and get a mess of them for free.

Give him the 12 oz baby bottles, and let him take 3 hours to drink it. If I should ever need such a medication (God forbid!), I would appreciate the whole bottle.

Giving a 12oz bottle then requires him to dedicate 3 straight hours to drinking beer, and that last sip will be decidedly flat and warm. A smaller bottle reduces the dedicated time and allows more consistency between drinks. Now, if it were me, it would be the IV drip for sure. I don't think I could make it.

Thanks for the tips on bottles. If I buy a case of the 6oz bottles today, maybe I can get free shipping. I'll also stay on the lookout for the screw top bottles. I was thinking about giving him a mini-6 pack for Christmas. If I really want the gift to be heartfelt, I'll buy a case of the Caronitas. There is no more dedicated gift than one that requires the giver to drink Caronas first! This guy has gone years without even a 12oz beer, and I think he has at least a couple more ahead of him. We went to 3 Floyds, and he had one sampler out of one flight. Brutal. If anyone needs some homebrew, it's him.

I drink a lot of Perier and been trying to figure out how to cap em. I'm about to do a 1 gallon test batch and was going to attempt to fill a few to see how well they work.

They're clear, but SanBitter is a little less than 4oz:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000D15YQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

If you have an Italian Grocery nearby they may have some or be able to order you some, because $35 shipped from Amazon is ridiculous.

Malta Goya sometimes comes in 7 oz amber bottles and Martinelli's sparkling cider comes in 7oz green bottles, but they are both screw top and I'm not sure how well the wing cappers handle those. You'd be better off with the split champagne bottles referenced earlier, they also come in green.

Last edited by a moderator:

You could also look at the thread on reducing the alcohol content of beers (which could be done on part of a batch), and the threads on brewing tasty lower alcohol beers. 2.7% milds and other English brews are fairly common in the UK now (thanks to a tax break at that ABV), and can be very good. Plus English styles don't really hurt from being allowed to warm up and left open to the air for an hour or two (it's almost like casking! ;) ). Remember, beers can vary in strength by a factor of 4 or so (a 12% RIS or barleywine and a 3% ordinary bitter or mild are both still beer...). Just a few other options to throw out there.

Here's Biermuncher's NA thread.

I wonder the feasibility of bottling in the mini liquor bottles. How much priming sugar do you think it would take to bottle prime them?

I'd just condition some of that brew in a growler. They last up to a few days, and he can drink it in 16 hours. Mathematically, he's getting a fresh brew.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Stop it. Too many good ideas here. I really like the idea of cooking the alcohol out of something - he's big fan of porters, and it would be killer to be able to give him some he can enjoy. However, the thread on it really seems to indicate that it doesn't work well bottling direct from the stove. Maybe if I start kegging some day...

A low alcohol mild is a solid idea too. I'll have to give it a try. Without looking, I would guess it would be fairly inexpensive to make.

And I wonder about liquor bottles too. Anything to save money. Maybe I can find some at the recycling center. I think for all of these, the amount of priming sugar should stay the same (?), but I am wondering how much headspace to leave.

With a little luck, I'll get a chance to try a few of these ideas.

Back