Little Man not doing well

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShortSnoutBrewing

Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
Reaction score
I speak of my 3 year old pug. A few days ago he suddenly became not himself and just kept looking at SWMBO and I with a look of total pain and discomfort. Long story short, he's was checked in to the animal hospital last night and is scheduled to have surgery tonight to remove an unknown mass about the size of his kidney. Though the chances are slim it has not been determined if it is cancerous or not. If you're a dog lover, animal lover, or not please send good vibes...It's been a really tough few days for the us (and his little 2 year old sister, another pug)

avitar.jpg

DSCN2224.jpg

DSCN1873.jpg

Dude sorry to hear that, we'll keep our thought with you guys at my place we are huge dog lovers. Hope everything goes well.

Cheers

Oh man, I am so sorry to hear that. I know some people just see dogs as pets, but in my house, my dog is part of the family. I would be devastated if something happened to her. I wish you and your pup all the luck in the world.

Sorry to hear that... best luck and wishes, hope that he's OK... we get mighty attached to our pets, it's never easy when you see them suffering.

That sucks man, here's sending good thoughts your way for your boy's speedy recovery.

Man thats sucks! Sorry to hear that. I hope everything is ok...

SWMBO and I have 3 furry kids, don't know what we'd do without them

Good luck man, I hope he pulls through ok. I had to euthanize my cat of 12 years yesterday so I know how worried and bummed out you must be. Again, good luck.

Me and SWMBO have two pugs of our own. A black and a fawn as well. Always seems that once you get one there is a second one that follows shortly.

Best of luck man, it's something we all fear and dread.

You have our thoughts and good vibes for sure!!!

Thanks again everyone. Surgery went as well as could be on Friday night. The mass was attached to his intestine so they had to remove a portion of it. Now he has a big incision on his underside. Came home Sunday and it's been a rough rough ride since. He's very stubborn and will not take his pain pills and antibiotics and isn't eating a whole lot...SWMBO made some progress this morning on the pills, but last night was the worst. We were up to 2am with him trying to get his pills down.

I've been stuffing pills down my greyhound's throat for two months now. The trick is to get the pill past the point where he is using his tongue to block his throat. That way, he can't work the pill against the roof of his mouth and spit it out. Given that Cougar's mouth is deeper than my hand is long ... and slime!

With my doxie, I used an oral syringe to inject water into his mouth after placing the pill as far back as I could. Forced him to swallow.

Eventually, he'll learn that you always win. Not that it will stop him from puking up the pills.

Hope it goes well.

Niki, our 3 year old pug, sends her best wishes that he gets well. When Niki needed to take pills, I wrapped it in a pit of cheese. She ate it so fast she didn't realize she was taking a pill. :) You can also check out www.pugs.com and see if they have any suggestions on how to pill your pug. There's some strange people on the site ( picltures of dressing up pugs, letters as if the pug was writing it, etc ) but there is also some very good advise on how to take care of pugs.

Your description of the pill taking problem reminded me of our Maltese "Boo-E", who was an expert at faking it... He would put it somewhere in his mouth for a few moments.. then spit it out when out of sight. Brie cheese helped!

Stubborn guy, all the way to 17 years of age, blind and prone to seizures... a real number!

He used to love peeing on leaf piles in the yard, so, now, we I rake my yard, I always leave small "Boo-E piles" in a few spots for a while, paying tribute to our companion of many years (we now have a wild-and-crazy cockapoo!)

Best wishes of good health to Mr. Pug...!

Praying for "Little Man" here. My SWMBO and I have 5 furry children and 6 feathered children. We almost lost one of the fury ones a couple of years ago, and pleaded with God to save him. I KNOW what you're going through. Keep your faith, and God's Will will prevail.

Best wishes to you and your dogs! My dog is my best friend, I know how you feel.

For pills, I get a spoonful of crunchy peanut butter and bury the pills in it. They never know it's in there. No hassle, no problems, and only a spoon and some fingers to clean up.

Danny013 said:
For pills, I get a spoonful of crunchy peanut butter and bury the pills in it. They never know it's in there. No hassle, no problems, and only a spoon and some fingers to clean up.

So it's true...a spoon full of 'peanut butter' helps the medicine go down...the medicine go down...the medicine go down...

Wow! Where the H&ll did that come from.

Danny013 said:

This is actually what SWMBO did to get the pills down this morning. And we just gave him another round at the crunchy PB worked. He loves his PB!

Most dogs do! I learned the hard way a long time ago (as you just have!), just disguise it as a treat and they fall for it every time! Maybe I missed it, but was the mass cancerous?

Cougar is very good at separating pills from treats. Very good and he hates peanut butter. The vet had some "Pill Pockets", which are chicken treats with a slit in them for pills. Didn't work. Ate the treat & spit out the pill.

I'm trying to condition him. Take the pill, get a bit of bread pudding.

But, whatever works.

Danny013 said:
...but was the mass cancerous?

That we don't know yet. First thought is no, but it's always a chance.

Cougar is very good at separating pills from treats. Very good and he hates peanut butter. The vet had some "Pill Pockets", which are chicken treats with a slit in them for pills. Didn't work. Ate the treat & spit out the pill.

I'm trying to condition him. Take the pill, get a bit of bread pudding.

But, whatever works.

We first tried stuffing it in some chicken bites I made for him, didn't want anything to do with them. Then some eggs - nope, rice - nope, pancakes - nope. All things he normally goes crazy for. Part of the problem being he's lost his appetite. He chowed down on the boiled chicken at one point last night so SWMBO ran and got the PB and pills. A few hours later, however, it was time for his pain pill and he didn't want anything to do with it, PB or not. I basically got the clump of PB in his mouth so he had to take it.

It's just so rough seeing him like this and feeling basically helpless. Can't imagine when it's time to actually have kids....eek...

Best of luck with everything, both of my dogs have had mast cell tumors which means we are always on the lookout for trouble, hopefully that wasn't the case with your boy. I usually just jam them pill really far back (you get slimed on the hand but no biggie), as my dogs will just eat the treat and spit the pill. I then cover their mouth and rub the throat. And as for the appetite, chicken broth is a good solution until he gets his appetite back. Dogs love it, and it's easy on the stomach. You can use it by itself or dump some of it on his food, it will usually get gobbled up. Also, is he on dry or wet food? If it's dry, switch to wet for a bit.

Back