Little less than 5 gallons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charley

Reaction score
Is it a big deal if I lost some water through steam during the boil? Didn't even think about it or realize it until today when I checked it (brewed yesterday) and saw it was starting to ferment, but was about a 3/4 inch below my 5 gallon mark. Is that going to effect the taste? Alcohol level? (it's already primed to be about 7.5% so I hope it doesn't increase it too much!!!)

If anything, you OG was maybe a little higher due to boil off. Did you dump everything from the kettle to the primary, or did you leave a half gallon of trub in the kettle? Id you left some begin in the kettle, your numbers will probably still be within the directions of the kit. If not, you may be looking at 7.75% or something, depending on attenuation of the yeast. I'm not an expert, though...

squeekybobo said:
If anything, you OG was maybe a little higher due to boil off. Did you dump everything from the kettle to the primary, or did you leave a half gallon of trub in the kettle? Id you left some begin in the kettle, your numbers will probably still be within the directions of the kit. If not, you may be looking at 7.75% or something, depending on attenuation of the yeast. I'm not an expert, though...

Btw, iPhone autocorrect sucks.

I dumped the whole enchilada. Wasn't sure what the outcome would be though... And yes, autocorrect has misrepresented me on several occasions!

McGlothan said:
No!.....No!.......Noooooooo! Dumped it because the ABV looked too high?

He dumped everything from his kettle into primary. He didn't dump the batch.

Whew! Sorry! misunderstood that one. If it is fermenting just let it go. It will end up being great beer, just check your final gravity to ensure complete fermentation. I thought you dumped the batch.

Woah, cool, I misunderstood that too. I've never thrown out a batch. Then again, I've never had one that's made me wretch while drinking it, though I've had some that, it was better if I'd been drinking before I started in on it!

Ha! No, I was responding to an earlier post that asked if I kept a half gallon or racked the whole thing. Sorry, didn't dump a thing. It's fermenting great at the moment. Can't wait to taste it!

Back