little krausen, no visible/audible bubbling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkuczma

Reaction score
Earlier this week, I brewed a Simcoe IPA with a recipe kit from Brooklyn Brew Shop. It's the 7th kit I've brewed so far, so I know what to expect with these.

I put on the blowoff tube and checked on it each day for the next 48 hours and found there was no audible or visible bubbles escaping the blowoff tube. There were plenty of little bubbles around it but it wasn't like what I usually see and hear. The krausen at the top was also very minimal in comparison to what I normally see. I'm not certain what happened here or if this means I should worry about how this brew will turn out. I did switch it to an airlock.

Any insight is appreciated.

Are you sure your fermenter lid is sealed all the way around? Sounds to me like your gas might be slipping by your lid seal.

Are you certain what your pitch temperature was?

I've only used the Brooklyn Brewshop kits too. I always get a really good krausen starting about twelve hours from pitch, to about 48 to 36 hours later.

I've had some seem to finish their ferment quicker than others, but all had a good krausen. But maybe not let that worry you, if you can check with hydrometer and know what your actual OG and FG are.

If they happen to be the same, then something is wrong. Maybe pitched at way too hot a temp?

I believe all the kits I've used from Brooklyn Brewshop are the same yeast based on the markings on packets. Same weight too, 3 grams give or take a tenth or so. The code on the packet, EMB 50109 seems to match with Levure or SAF instant yeast which both are saccharomyces cerevisiae. Or otherwise a top fermenting Ale yeast to beer makers.

Last edited:
I'm using the screw caps on the tops; this one was tight as can be with my blowoff tube firmly in it no more than an inch deep.

Positive the pitch temp was 70, but perhaps I shouldn't taken the temp in different parts of the pot and the spot where I had it had just reached 70.

Once I have my new tools, that will help remove some of the guessing and uncertainty from this, but I'm going to be extra vigilant about ensuring the pitch temp is spot on. I also have rubber stoppers, so perhaps I should try use those over the screw caps.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to share feedback- much appreciated. I'm a very anxious rookie with all this, ha.

Was this an extract batch?
What was the batch size?
How many grams was the yeast pack?

My guess is that the seal isn't as snug as it can be and some CO2 is escaping. Or, as may kits are wont to do, the yeast supplied doesn't have a high enough cell count for recommended pitching rates. Or... the yeast my be a little older/stored warm/etc to contribute to some of the cells dying off prior to pitching in your beer.

I wouldn't worry about temp stratification in your fermenter. If the wort was somewhat mixed going into the fermenter its probably pretty darn close to 70f throughout the entire thing. And 70f is very happy temp for yeast.

Lastly, I wouldn't be too anxious. It sounds like its fermenting, albeit a little slow, so just let it ride and if it takes a couple extra days, so be it.

Back