Lithuanian pea lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giraffe

Reaction score
http://beerhunter.com/documents/19133-000921.html
http://www.garshol.priv.no/download/lithuanian-beer-guide/book.pdf

In short, anyone ever brew a lager with fresh green peas? Peas are in season here, and well, ive always been curious. These sources say it ranged from 3-15%, anyone have any experience with mashing them/should i do a cereal mash? Would you throw the pods in too? I dont often brew with weird adjuncts so if anyone has an advice, id appreciate it.

Recipe wise im thinking:

60% Bohemian floor malt pils
22% Weyermann Vienna
3% Caramunich I
15% green peas

128-145-155

25ibu

whatever addition of perle @ 60 to hit 25 ibu total
1 oz saaz (20)
1 oz saaz(5)

2278@52 ( i got a couple of free cans from a czech yeast from imperial yeast, which looks like its the same strain as 2278)

Never thought of that. Sounds bizarre but trying this would be totally in the spirit of creative homebrewing. As a bit of a gardener, I would think leaning toward (sugar) snap peas would seem more logical. Choped or otherwise semi broken up and in maybe secondary. "Dry-Peaing" if you will. A Pilsener, Blonde or even a light Pale ale would I think be a giid vehicle for this.
Go for it and tell us what you find.

Do it! I would cook the peas first and then add the peas and remaining pea water to the start of the mash

salad.JPG

Thanks all, any idea of what kind of gravity contribution one would get per lb or kg of fresh peas? Or any similar vegetable/legume to get a ballpark guesstimate?

Well for posterity I brewed this last night. I guessed that the peas would have the same gravity contribution as black patent which was the lowest in my spreadsheet. I chopped them, shells and all, as fine as i could and used a cereal mash.

Lithuanian Pea Lager (Širvenos)

11gal

1.044 (74% efficiency)
60% Weyerman Floor Malted Pils
21% MFB Special Aromatic 5L
3% Caramunich I
1% Acid Malt
15% Fresh green peas (~4lbs)

Added Cacl2 to get to a mash ph of 5.4
Mashed in at 131. Did the cereal mash, added the peas to the mash, brought it up to 144. Rested 20 minutes. did a decoction to 155. Infused to mash out. Lautering went well.

The hot break was vast and nasty. I skimmed it. alot.

Added 2oz of sterling at (20)
and 2oz of sterling at (5)

for 25ibu.

Hit a gravity of 1.048, so maybe I got more gravity from the peas than expected.
Wort tasted.... unusual.

Ran out of o2 1/2 way through oxygenation. So thats less than ideal.

Pitched an ample amount of 2278 at 52F. We shall see how it is in 6-8 weeks. Im kind of afraid.

Kegged it yesterday, and put in the cold conditioner. ended at 1.009. Sample tasted odd, kind of a weird biterness to it, tasted much more bitter than 25 ibus should be. Having doubts i should have used the pea shells as well as the peas. Hopefully it will clean up after 4 weeks at 32F.

Back