List of Pop-top beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xcrusader

Reaction score
Hey guys, I now am way in over my head with 8 gallons to bottle and about 12 bottles.... I am in need of a list of commercial beers that are pop tops (non-twist) that are somewhat cheap and readily available. I live in Illinois if that matters.
Thanks a ton,
CRU
:mug:

g_rath said:
hit up a redemption center or a local brewery. you should be able to get a bunch of bottles cheep or free.

Or possibly a local nicer restaurant. Give the bartender a few bucks and ask him to save pop top bottles for you.

Why not just buy new bottles from your LHBS? Or online? It's probably cheaper than buying beer for the bottles...

chemist308 said:
Why not just buy new bottles from your LHBS? Or online? It's probably cheaper than buying beer for the bottles...

But not nearly as fun as getting to drink the beer that comes in the bottles

New Belgium
Sam Adams

Limited Visibility said:
But not nearly as fun as getting to drink the beer that comes in the bottles

New Belgium
Sam Adams

+1 emptying them is half the fun.

sam adams are available just about everywhere.

The easiest way is to look at them while you are at the store buying beer :) Thats what I do when I do buy a sixer once in a while...If its not a pop top, I pass it by...:D

There are two brands of beer that I can still buy cases of at the grocery store in returnable bottles. One is Blatz. The other is Point Special. I went with the Point! :D

Nice to have a case to store them!

The labels come off the Sam Adams really nice and usually readily available anywhere....

I've had some luck as others have posted with local bars saving some for me....

:cross:

I normally use Bass and Sam Adams, and both are decent to remove labels. Some of my Bass bottles lok very thin though.

Guiness has some bottles with peelable shrinkwrap labels, and the bottles are curvy!

I was going to suggest going to the store and picking up some returnables, but I think your state doesn't have that. I can get all the bottles I want for 10 cents apiece that way.

Fat Tire and Tyskie Lager have large and normal size bottles
Grolsch 16oz flip top bottles
in stores like Jewel

There are two brands of beer that I can still buy cases of at the grocery store in returnable bottles. One is Blatz. The other is Point Special. I went with the Point!

Nice to have a case to store them!

+1 but Blatz no longer makes the returnables. The point labels come off easier anyway. Buying returnables is hands down the best way to get bottles. The carrier boxes are phenomenal!

Easiest and cheapest answer is to head to you local recycling facility. They usually have no problem with you grabbing as many bottles as you can load up.

Back