list of hop varieties with a neomexicanus origin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sylvain

Hops made in France
Reaction score
What are the known varieties that possess a neomexicanus genetic heritage or simply entirely neomexicanus?
I know:
Amalia
Willow Creek
Neo1
Medusa (Multihead)
Chinook
Comet
Sabro
Ernest
Zappa
Eastwell Golding
and?

"Quelles sont les variétés connues qui possèdent un patrimoine génétique Neomexicanus ou simplement entièrement Neomexicanus ? je connais : Amalia Willow Creek Neo1 Medusa (Multihead) Chinook Comet Sabro Ernest Zappa Eastwell Golding ... et ?"

What are the known varieties that possess a neomexicanus genetic heritage or simply entirely neomexicanus?
I know:
Amalia
Willow Creek
Neo1
Medusa (Multihead)
Chinook
Comet
Sabro
Ernest
Zappa
Eastwell Golding
and?

"Quelles sont les variétés connues qui possèdent un patrimoine génétique Neomexicanus ou simplement entièrement Neomexicanus ? je connais : Amalia Willow Creek Neo1 Medusa (Multihead) Chinook Comet Sabro Ernest Zappa Eastwell Golding ... et ?"

El Dorado.

I know:
Amalia
Willow Creek
Neo1
Medusa (Multihead)
Chinook
Comet
Sabro
Ernest
Zappa
Eastwell Golding
and?

Bitter Gold

Yes, El Dorado definitely looks like it has Neo Mexicanus in it. I found some seeds in some hops that I'm growing out and the leaves of a few plants look almost exactly like my Neo 1's.

Some leaves are golden colored - totally different than my Centennials. It almost looks like a nutrient issue... Or is the name El Dorado related to the yellow leaves?

Yes, El Dorado definitely looks like it has Neo Mexicanus in it. I found some seeds in some hops that I'm growing out and the leaves of a few plants look almost exactly like my Neo 1's.

Some leaves are golden colored - totally different than my Centennials. It almost looks like a nutrient issue... Or is the name El Dorado related to the yellow leaves?

The male might be yellow-leaved? I believe yellow leaves are due to partially dominant chlorophyll deficiency, where having the allele once gives you yellow foliage, and having it twice gives you total lack of chlorophyll.

Could also just be a nutrient/soil issue, though, maybe that seedling just doesn't like the growing conditions you gave it.

Comet has yellow foliage.
a large part of my neomexicanus seedlings are yellow too.
it is possible that this gene comes out on your seedlings.

"le Comet possède un feuillage jaune. une grande partie de mes semis Neomexicanus sont jaunes aussi. il est possible que ce gène ressorte sur vos semis"

Wow you have El Dorado
That is a great Hop one of the best!

I had a similar reaction of yellowing leaves with my comet hop's As well as some sunbeam hops. It was several years ago. But they were both rhizomes and as there bines emerged and the leaves became larger it was obvious how different they look from every other varieties that were being grown. I thought it was a nutrient deficiency. They were the only 2 hops in my hop yard that took on a yellow complexion. (A very yellow Sun Beam hop) before I blasted both of them with more nitrogen I tested soil. Upon further reading I discovered that they were supposed to look like that. :yes:
I have sence moved the Sun Beam hop to a shady (northern side) back of the barn because grown in full sun the Sun Beam hop would burn but grown in a shaded position there was minimal risks of sustaining necrotic burn.

I would love to get my hands on an El Dorado hop.
Would be kind of fun to raise a blue northern Brewer as well I think ornamental hops have a place.

Last edited:
Ernest
Eastwell Golding

I think you're misreading the Wye family tree. Eastwell Golding is nothing to do with neomex, she's one of the classic Golding clones.

The main neomex influence in the Wye pedigree is AA7, the mother via different pollinations of Ernest, Y90 and OB79.

Y90 was the mother of Keyworth's Midseason, and by a different father the grandmother of Keyworth's Early, which in turn is the grandmother of Yeoman and part of the pedigree of most of the British dwarf hops.

OB79 is the father of Progress, separately the grandfather of Target and is also part of the pedigree of the dwarf hops.

So in terms of British hops that you can get hold of with reasonable amounts of neomex parentage in them, then Ernest is 50%, and both Progress and Keyworth Midseason are 25% neomex.

Lol
You got me there....
It's too bad you could have made a spectacular species.
HOPA-SMURF
:cool:

Last edited:
I have El Dorado seedlings... I'm hoping they'll be similar to their mom, but you never know...

And, the male parent could have had yellow leaves. I just thought El Dorado might have been a reference to the color of the leaves. Either way, it does seem like neomexicanus have lighter leaves than my other hops.

Sign me up!!
I'd like to play with those genetics...
I wonder how much of the genetic traits transfer over to 1/2 El D... what would it have picked up from its mother.

Have these been sexed do you know if you have any males or just females?

Last edited:
Not sure if a light deprivation would work... but you might try it.
If you are one of those kids who likes to know what his Christmas presents are before Christmas.
I would try this.

Take a few cuttings off of your mother stock. Some side shoots 6 to 10 inches would suffice. Cut back some of the leaf growth. I usually cut the shoot on a 45 degree angle with a razor blade at the node (where the leaf and the side shoot emerge from the bine) either use root hormone or cloning gel or simply soak them in water being sure to either change the water daily or use aquarium pump to oxygenate the water. Depending on your humidity you may need to spray mist on them every so often to keep them hydrated. With out true roots the plant cant get much moisture. If you wish you could Foliar feed these cuttings but it's not necessary in the cloning process just makes a sturdier clone that starts a lot quicker to grow roots. Depending on your humidity level I would use Dome lids or something to keep moisture in ... i have used a rooting mat as well but I have also has success with out it as well.
once roots form put those cuttings in some sort of growing medium. Allow them to climatized to the place that you will be experimentings with the light deprivation.

You can essentially at that point trick the plant into showing it sex early by puting it into it's flowering cycle. by covering the cuttings (if you plan to let them run there course outside) with something to keep the light from shining on the clone. It will think it is time to flower you only need a few weeks and the cuttings should go into flower and reveal the sex of the mother or fathering stock.
I have done this before with double sided plastic white on one side black on the other. Put the white side out so it doesn't absorb much heat.
I would cover and un cover in a small hoop house at either 6 am to 6 PM or 7 am to 7 pm.

Obviously if you have an inside area and a small led or florescent light you could put on a 12 hour timer and cycle it on for 12 hours would be the easiest way to find out what you have. It doesn't have to be an intense light you are just trying to get it to think that it is fall and it is time to flower.

Me personally I like to know what I am growing. especially if it's something that I would like to grow more of in the future. if it's a female now you can clone some more of these shoots out to propagate and grow next year. if it's a male obviously you don't need to do much cloning unless you have some folks in mind that would like to breed hops.

Either way good luck with your hops I'm am excited for you!

Last edited:
Some folks water neomexicana hops too much and that can yellow some leaves as well...
I'm not saying you are... just saying it is something to think about.

They're still little so I'm not going to take any cuttings at this point, but good point about the watering... I hadn't thought about that. I live in a desert, but have been watering quite a bit to keep them alive...

Hops require a certain number of nodes (around 40 iirc, maybe a bit less) to flower. Chemicals could /probably/ reduce that, but there's no known formula for that as far as I know.

Yeah is sounds like immature hops that need time to get established.

Well keep us posted if you can...

Cheers to great beers

And, to get this thread back on track...

There are some monks in New Mexico that sell Amalia, Chama, Latir, Mintras, and Tierra. They're hard to track down, but seem to be available in small quantities.

Sorry for the hijack.

I have amalia great little hop!

I am intrested in the rest of those cultivars.
Chama, Latir, Mintras, and Tierra.

They probly don't have a website or anything like that how did you find out about these varieties?

I had forgotten these hops of the monks... interesting but I think impossible to get in rhizome, at least for me in France.

"j'avais oublié ces houblons des moines... intéressants mais je pense impossible à obtenir en rhizome, en tout cas pour moi en France".

yes it's true, but the best is to create new varieties yourself in this style, thanks to seeds Neomexicanus.
"oui c'est vrai, mais le mieux c'est de créer soi-même de nouvelles variétés dans ce style, grâce aux graines Neomexicanus"

Another one is GP75, an experimental variety only available as cones from Stocks Farm AFAIK, a cross in 1978 between 19/73/3 (a grand-daughter of Keyworth Midseason) and neomex seedling male 321. Described as "very pungent grapefruit, lime & citrus " (by British standards at least)

Back