List of hop rizomes I can buy to grow, Help me pic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impulserush

Reaction score
This is a list of hop rizomes my LHBS is getting in and I would like to ask for recommendations on which ones to plant. I have been brewing amber ales,Just did my first IPA, and I want to try lagering in the future. I was Thinking of Cascade, Chinnook, Willamette, or Hallertau. I wanted to plant a high AA, Medium AA and A low AA hop. Will these hops compliment each other for most all brewing (in different amounts added to boil of course.) I live in Pennsylvania so I would like to know if any of you have planted these in PA, how are they doing?

Cascade
Centennial
Chinook
Fuggle
Glacier
Golding
Hallertau
Horizon
Liberty
Mt. Hood
Nugget
Santiam
Sterling
Tettnang
Willamette

I'd go with Nugget or Centennial instead of Chinook. Chinook is a good hop to mix with other bittering hops, but I won't use it by itself. Plus, you can make a really fine fresh hop IPA with just Nugget.

I'm in SW PA...I planted two fuggles and they died over their first winter (didn't mulch them, so that could make a difference)

planted goldings and sterling last spring...sterling grew better and actually produced a handful of cones. goldings grew some, but didn't produce.

we'll see if they come up this spring.

Do some Cascades for sure mine did great.I like Chinooks they grew well on my farm.I also have Nuggets ,Willamettes,and Magmum.These last three got planted late.The Nuggets and Willamette show more promise but this year will decide the Magmums fate Glen

Some of those are ones I want & haven't been able to find. If they say they can ship, please post the name or phone number of the store. I'm in MI and need more aroma hops for my field.
As for your question, I've decided that fresh home grown aroma hops contribute more to flavor & aroma than the bittering ones. So just look at the beers you like and the hops used.
Thanks,
Steve

Back