Liquorice stout - feedback and thanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam's Apples

Reaction score
A month or so ago I asked you guys to give opinions or recommendations on a stout recipe I had written. I'm very new to brewing and have been learning all the time, still am, especially from the discussions on here. I am now learning what ingredients lend themselves to certain styles of beer and I love dreaming up recipes. This was to be my 7th brew and also my first stout attempt. It was an extract with steeping grains recipe and I re-wrote it about 4 times based on advice given here - mainly changes to ingredient amounts / proportions.

Anyway, this post is just to say thanks and to share with you that this has turned out to be my best beer by far - so far. It's been kegged (traditionally primed in a plastic barrel) for only 10 days - I shouldn't even be touching it yet, but I have had a few half pints already and it is lovely. I wanted to add the recipe to my profile, but don't seem to be able to, possibly as I do not pay for any upgraded membership.

Anyway, I will post the recipe below. The beer is still undergoing changes and I can sense the flavour rounding out. The black treacle has imparted a liquorice flavour that was very imposing when I tasted at secondaty fermentation stage, but now the beer tastes roasted and slightly bitter at start, with a smooth liquorice finish, which lingers on the tongue. This beer has convinced me to double my brewing efforts and save cash for a corny keg and DIY kegerator in the not too distant future. I will try to upload some photos to a thread here, but really I wish you could all try a sip of this stuff, it truly is twice as good as any of my previous efforts.

Liquorice Stout

(6 gallon batch)
6.6lbs Light LME (added in last 15 mins of boil)
2.2lbs Dark DME
1lb Treacle
3.5oz Black patent malt
8oz Chocolate malt
1lb Roasted barley
5oz crystal malt

1.25oz Northern Brewer @ 60 mins
Yeast – Safale-04

I'm sipping one now, although the plan is to save most of it until St Patty's day and have some friends over to share it...

Thanks for the advice all!

:ban:

Looks pretty tasty! I make an oatmeal stout with actual licorice root in it (though it's processed) and it turns out really nicely with just a hint of licorice in the aftertaste. I may have to try the treacle method if I can find any.

To add a recipe to your dropdown you just need to post into the appropriate section of the recipe database (stout in this case). Though it's possible you need to have a paid membership, on that I'm not sure.

It looks/sounds pretty good to me. I think you need to send me a sample just to make sure :mug:

Congrats on your first stout :rockin:

Thanks guys.

The black treacle was quite experimental and I didn't honestly know what it would add. I had recently used honey in a recipe, but that added very little flavour and I was prepared for the black treacle to provide only an ABV boost. However, it has turned out to be a very important element in the flavour. It seemed as if it may overtake the other flavours at first, but it has really mellowed and provided a nice aftertaste. As the stout ages I am noticing the roasted flavours coming through first.

Can't tell you how happy I am with this brew, but I think I have set a hard benchmark to follow as this is leagues above my other brews.

I will take a photo soon and post.

Cheers

bradsul said:
Looks pretty tasty! I make an oatmeal stout with actual licorice root in it (though it's processed) and it turns out really nicely with just a hint of licorice in the aftertaste. I may have to try the treacle method if I can find any.

To add a recipe to your dropdown you just need to post into the appropriate section of the recipe database (stout in this case). Though it's possible you need to have a paid membership, on that I'm not sure.

Thanks Brad

Just posted this in the recipe section and it has attached to my ID.

Cheers

Back