Liquor Pig S.O.B. Recipe Idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LTownLiquorPig

Reaction score
Going to throw together my first batches using hop additions, pretty excited.

My favourite beer right now is probably Propeller ESB, http://drinkpropeller.ca/beers/7-Bitter. While I don't really want to totally clone it, I'd like to get something sort of close-ish, if you know what I mean. So here is what I'm thinking of doing....

Ingredients:
1 KG Light LME
1.7 KG Coopers English Bitter
1 KG Dextrose
1 oz. Willamette Pellet Hops
Salvaged Notty Sludge

-Boil 4-5 L water (biggest pot right now is 8L, but am actively seeking something larger from the Salvation Army thrift store) when boiling, add half of LME and 1 oz. Willamette (in some sort of hop sock) for 5 mins.
-Remove from heat, dump in bucket and add all remaining fermentables, mixing well.
-Top up with mixture of hot and cold water to get 23 L, dumped from quite high to get some good aeration foam going. Target temp is 68-72*.
-Pitch Notty sludge and leave'er be. Usually able to hold ferment temp in low 60's. :rockin:

OG - 1.052
FG - 1.011 or there abouts
IBU's - 34.6
EBC 23.3

I think I'm going to be slightly hoppier and a little darker than the Propeller, but I'm fine with that. Anybody have any thoughts? I plan to throw this together the week after St. Patrick's Day.

Mike

1kg of dextrose is way too much for this type of beer, I wouldn't go over 0.5kg, and even thats pretty high for an ESB. definitely don't let notty get over 70F (wort temp, not ambient), it gets pretty gross. also, theres no way 1oz of willy is gunna get you that high of IBUs in such a small boil. I'd add another oz at the start and you may want to add more at the end of the boil if you want any hop flavor/aroma

This beer is on hold then. I'm gonna put my hop/lme cash into a 15L pot. Something I've been thinking about doing, but have been putting off in my mad effort to build up a pipeline of my kit beers.

Latest posts

Back