liquid Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

comicsandbeer83

Reaction score
i have a recipe book that John Palmer co-wrote and almost all of the extract based recipes call for more than one packet of liquid yeast, which seems like overkill to me. the white labs packets are advertised as being plenty for most 5 gallon beer recipes that are low gravity. Should i just stick with one? or actually use 3-4 as suggested?

It depends on the gravity. With a lower gravity beer, you'd probably be ok with 1 vial/packet of liquid yeast. According to MrMalty, anything over 1.030 OG, you want to use a starter or more vials. It probably doesn't necessarily need more yeast but pitching the right amount of yeast helps reduce the possibility of off flavors or things like that.

The 3 beers I did previously all started in the low to mid 1.040s range. And I only used 1 dry or 1 liquid for each. They turned out great. Would the amount of extract used make a difference in how many packets used? Because these recipes seem to mostly call for more than what I have used in extract in past, which has been around 6.6 lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

More extract means a higher gravity so yes, the amount of extract would determine how much yeast to use. I think if your OG is going to be over 1.050, you may want to consider two vials or making a starter.

The 3 beers I did previously all started in the low to mid 1.040s range. And I only used 1 dry or 1 liquid for each. They turned out great. Would the amount of extract used make a difference in how many packets used? Because these recipes seem to mostly call for more than what I have used in extract in past, which has been around 6.6 lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew
If what you're doing is working great, then, well, you're in good shape.

When you start to get over 1.050 or so, maybe think about starters and/or pure o2 and yeast nutrients.

Latest posts

Back