Liquid Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clarkd

Reaction score
After a few brews under my belt I decided that I wanted to try a batch with liquid yeast. Went with the https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f63/california-common-anchor-steam-clone-extract-ag-54301/ california common. Anyways I didn't do enough research and didn't realize you need dme for a starter and so far I have only done all grain. Using the yeast calculator on Mr. Malty it says that I would need 2.7 packs without a starter.

I guess my question is basically do I leave the yeast in the fridge for a few more weeks and order some dme online(I'm 4 hours from a lhb), or follow the directions on the wyeast smack pack and pitch it after it swells?

Any input is much appreciated! Thanks!

Clark

When are you planning to brew your beer?

Smack the yeast pack and make a starter approx. 3 to 4 days prior to brewing.

Do you have any extra base malt (2 row or pale malt)? If so make your self a 2l batch of wort and use it for a starter.

Since you're only doing all-grain, make your own wort for the starter! You don't need DME for a starter...any pale hopless wort at 1.040 SG would do. You just need some pale 2-row. It's the exact same thing as what you'd make with DME, just a little more time invested.

It's probably more convenient to make a couple gallons at once and freeze it in 1 liter containers for future starters. If I figure correctly, about 3# in 2 gallons will get you to 1.040 @ 75% efficiency, but you can use whatever calculator that suits you to figure it out.

Awesome, thanks folks! I've got lots of 2 row on hand. I'll make the starter tomorrow when we brew a seperate dry yeast batch. Your help is much appreciated!

Clark

Back